Paint thinner

Chanda

Aug 25, 2006
Pahrump, Nevada
Can isopropyl alcohol be used as a paint thinner for Floquil paint ? I'm getting tired of paying $ 8 plus for a can of paint thinner.

Chanda

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Only Floquil poly scale. The regular floquil is laquer. I would use floquil thinner to thin the paint, but there is no reason not to buy a gallon of the cheaper hardware store laquer thinner to use for cleanup.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
As noted, lacquer thinner works just as well as Diosol, and is a lot cheaper. I buy it by the gallon, as it's also excellent for use as a cement for styrene.

Wayne

ejen34

Aug 6, 2006
Brewer, ME
What is the difference chemically between laquer thinner and paint thinner (acetone) ? Paint thinner runs me 5.24 a quart.

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Chanda said:
Can isopropyl alcohol be used as a paint thinner for Floquil paint ? I'm getting tired of paying $ 8 plus for a can of paint thinner.

Chanda
This is one area I don't recommend cutting corners to save a buck or two.Use the cheaper thiner for clean up but,stay with Dio-Sol for thinning the paint.The reason is many to include the cheaper thinner attacking the plastic.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Floquil paint will, itself, attack styrene if brushed on or sprayed too heavily. I've been using lacquer thinner in place of Diosol for over 30 years, including a long stint of custom painting.
Ejen34, I checked my supply of thinners in order to answer your question. Among many other uses, acetone can be used to thin paint, varnish, and lacquer. It will also dissolve epoxy paints and glues. The sole listed ingredient is acetone. Lacquer thinner's express use is thinning lacquer-based paints. The listed ingredients are: toluene, methyl ethyl ketone, methanol, and acetone.
While it would appear that acetone is a suitable thinner Floquil paints, I've not used it as such, as I find the odour much more objectionable. When using either of these products, it is very important to wear a proper two-stage respirator, and to provide adequate ventilation. I use a spray booth vented to the outside for most painting, although large items, such as bridges or large buildings, are painted outside.
While I'm uncertain about the properties of isopropol alcohol, methyl hydrate (denatured alcohol), which I use to strip paint from many plastics, and also as a thinner for some water-based paints, is also a very dangerous chemical, and should be used with the precautions noted above. In addition, methyl hydrate is readily absorbed through the skin by contact, and through the eyes, as vapour.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
ejen34 said:
What is the difference chemically between laquer thinner and paint thinner (acetone) ? Paint thinner runs me 5.24 a quart.
Paint thinner is not acetone. Paint thinner is more oily and less volatile than either acetone or laquer thinner. Paint thinner is good for reducing and cleaning up enamel paint and is a lot safer to use than the other two, plus it's a lot cheaper. I used laquer thinner in large quantities to clean screenprinting screens and it did a number on my sinuses over the years, so I don't recommend using it in other than a well ventalated area. Acetone is a good for general-purpose cleanup and for taking paint off of stuff, but again, use venalation when using it.

Me, I use mostly acrlylic paints and either water or isopropyl alchohol for thinning and cleanup. You can use alchohol for removing acrlyic paints and it's a lot easier on the plastic than either laquer thinner or acetone.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If you use paint thinner (usually it is mineral spirits) it is intended to thin enamel paints not laquers. As soon as you pour it into the laquer, it will "shock" the paint and suddenly your container is filler with what looks like granules of colored saw dust. Use laquer thinners to thin laquer paint. Use mineral spirits to thin enamel paint, and use either denatured alcohol or distilled water to thin water based acryllic paint. I know some people have used isopropyl alcohol to thin acryllics, but I tried it once and the paint shocked. I don't remember what type or brand the paint was and I used 70% not 90%, but I've never used isopropyl alcohol with paint since.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
They may have, but the only change I saw was smaller bottles for bigger money.:rolleyes: Maybe you're thinking of Scalecoat, which came out with Scalecoat II.

Wayne