Paint stripping

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Ok, what is the easiest way to strip paint off of my plastic cars? I have heard that some people put the car in brake fluid for a day. Has anybody tried this and how well does it work?

Michael

Voice

Mar 2, 2001
central Iowa
Visit site
I've used brake fluid to strip a couple Athearn models, and it worked great!! It didn't take all day, just a few minutes, and the use of an old toothbrush. After the paint is removed, you have to wash it well in warm, soapy water to get all the brake fluid off.

McFortner

Sep 9, 2002
Stockbridge, GA
Visit site
Well, it is working somewhat. The red came off the Santa Fe F7 real easily, the yellow with some coaxing with an electric toothbrush, and the silver has been soaking for an hour is is barely coming loose (perhaps they put it on thick?).

Oh well, it is coming loose slowly and I'll be able to repaint soo (I hope!)

Michael

Voice

Mar 2, 2001
central Iowa
Visit site
I went out and bought a glass bread loaf pan. I let the shells soak for a while, and then attacked them with a toothbrush. I had problems with the silver, also. I was stripping an Athearn PA that I wanted in the Santa Fe Warbonnet paint.

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Paint Stripping...

I've found that some colours, noticeably the lighter ones, are more thickly applied...and as a result, have to soak a little longer. I do not specifically recommend leaving anything to soak overnight, as I've lost some of the more flimsy detail parts by doing so.

Tankertoad70

Oct 19, 2002
Oregon City, OR
Visit site
I have had very good success with Polly Scale's paint stripper. I have shied away from brake fluid due to some of the finer plastics being used today. However, brake fluid works great on ye ol' Athearn bluebox puppies.:)

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Reasons

Ever wonder why the paint comes off the car but sometimes the lettering remains? Especially gold and silver.

It has to do with the process by which the cars are painted and lettered. Most model railroad cars are painted by an automated spray process. The paint that is used is a quick-dry semi- flat enamel. Most any mild solvent such as brake fluid will remove it.

The lettering is a different story.....It's not paint but rather an ink that is applied by a pad printing process. To make it simple its sorta like a high speed rubber stamp. The ink tends to bond tightly to the car body itself as it actually penetrates the layer of paint that has already been sprayed on.

Now to gold and silver....these inks have to be applied with what is know as a hot stamp process because of their metallic content.
The heat causes the ink to penetrate the paint and bond tightly to the carbody. If you look closely after you finally get gold or silver letters removed and you can still see their outlines due to the tight bond that was made by the hot ink.

Just another tid-bit from The Robber Barron's Vault of Useless Knowledge...Brought to you by BUFFALO CHIPS...THE BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!!!:D :D :D :p

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Originally posted by Tankertoad70
I have had very good success with Polly Scale's paint stripper. I have shied away from brake fluid due to some of the finer plastics being used today.

I use the same. Brake fluid made one shell into rubber. I think it was a Kato shell. I don't remember, so since then, I no longer use brake fluid.

Marty