Paint or lay track??

aslan

May 16, 2006
Just finished the rough outline for the layout. I'm using plywood, HO and EZ Track. Should I paint the plywood (brown/green for appropriate areas) then lay the track or vice versa? I know that it would be a lot easier without the track, which seems to me the way to go. I've also read that putting ground cover, etc. on the wet paint is a method too. BTW, I've already primered the plywood.
Thanks,
Stan

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
You can do it either way you want, unless you decide to try and attach scenery with the wet paint. If you are going to go that route, paint after the track is laid.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
A lot depends on what you want your final layout to look like. In most cases layout scenery involves more than just painting the plywood. A plus to painting the plywood is that your layout will look better than bare plywood, for minimal effort. There was an old article in MR about 1969 about expanding the size of one's layout without building a bigger layout--among the most important hints were painting the plywood, to reduce the visual impact of the wood itself, and painting the webs of the track (going back and wiping the paint off the tops of the rails, of course) to visually shrink them as well. One may not want to do the painting of both with the same color. This can be an intermediate stage before adding other scenery elements like plaster or foam on top of the plywood--or, especially if this is intended as a "play layout" for kids or if you're not a scenery type of guy, a final treatment.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
well i just started my Scenery today. I think that you should lay the track first. Its nice to have the stuff stick to the drying paint. when it starts gettign loose, take some Woodland scenics cement to the ground foam! Its looking good all ready...