paint for foam

sidetracked

Dec 4, 2006
I am wanting to give my blue foam a light coat of brown or some earth tone paint before I start on any scenery or track laying ,,, I am wondering if I need a special paint,, I dont want it to start flaking off after a while or when I glue the scenery and other things down I dont want the paint coming off,,,,, ,,,,, or is it even necessary,,,,, ,, I thought it might be a little more forgiving if there is a spot here and there that i miss with grass and stuff if it would be brown instead of blue,,,, has anyone ever done this,,, , thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,st

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
The cheapest earthtone, flat latex , interior paint works just fine. Solvent based paints will damage the foam.
You can also add sifted dry dirt to give the paint some texture if you like. I used dirt from my backyard and sifted it with a kitchen seive and then dried it in the oven.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
You may be able to get something from the "mis-tint" pile at a fraction of the cost of custom mix. They may even retint it for you if you don't need anything more specific than "dirt colour".

Andrew

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I use standard latex. I started with a couple of tins of custom mix, but I make undercoats out of anything suitable from house painting (the sage from the living room).
I made some platforms out of foam and painted them with craft store acrylics; I stuck figures on with accent glue and the pulled the paint off when they fell over.