Paint color question

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Today (9/16) I purchased a stock car kit a local train show. Speciffically an Athearn stock car, NP railroad. The underside of the car is black plastic and the car weight is exposed bare metal. Does anyone have info on the prototype colors used on NP freight cars? Possibly they were the same color as the car body but I would like to be sure. To any manufacturers reading this. It wouldn't hurt to add this info to your instruction sheets.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Most of the vintage equipment I see at the Smiths Falls Railway museum is either the body colour or black underneath. However, this is rapidly changed to "local dirt & dust" once the rolling stock starts, well... rolling. ;)

In the case of the stock car though, Canadian examples get a white lime disinfectant spray over the entire bottom half of the car, obscuring whatever colour was there originally.

Andrew

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Andrew: Thanks for the info. It seems to me that I've seen the whitish color along the lower portion of cattle cars here in the states also. Our local museum here has a picture of a NP car with a Bison sticking out through the side of the car. Apparently Bison were not as easy to transport as cattle and this one tried to exit where there was no door. I've often thought that would make a good modeling project. Regards; Jim

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
In the case of the stock car though, Canadian examples get a white lime disinfectant spray over the entire bottom half of the car, obscuring whatever colour was there originally.
Actually, didn't CN and/or CP eventually start painting the lower part of stock car sides white so the lime wouldn't show up?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Triplex,

I believe you are correct about the sides - I suppose it was to give a neater appearance. I don't know if they would have painted under the car white, but I am pretty sure they would have disinfected underneath...

Andrew

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Here is a pic I took at exporail here in Montreal ( St. Constant )
stockcar.jpg

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
I would recommend grimy black. As Andrew suggested, it wouldn't take long to turn that way after a little service. Plus black hides the details.

That being said, most of my super detailed models are painted the body color.

wjstix

Nov 18, 2004
When in doubt go with the Stones and "Paint It Black"!! I usually take the weight and use a spray can to paint it. The plastic parts under the Athearn car are black so it kinda blends together better, plus black helps hide the fact that the Athearn cars aren't that well detailed underneath.