Paint Brand???

jflessne

I'm in a holding pattern on my Ho layout. (Deciding if we should move.) In the meantime I'm working on a small around the tree layout. I have a few buildings to paint. Can someone recommend a brand? I'm familar with scalecoat II paints because I've had to touch up my loco's but I have no idea what to use for building etc.

2-8-2

I use Polly Scale and Floquil paints for the most part. Both are made by Testors, which is also a good brand to use. The nice thing about these brands are the colors are easy to identify: Rust, Rail Brown, Oily and Grimy Black, etc. The downside is they're a tad pricey.

I've also used cheap acrylic paints with success. It needs to be thinned down quite a bit, but at 44 cents a tube, you can't beat the price.

ejen34

I try to use Testor brands whenever possible, but the main thing is I use Acrylic paint. I have had the mis-fortune of using both Latex and Oil based before, there is no feeling quite like that of applying paint and watching it eat away your well placed styrofoam. Sad really :(

Biased turkey

For a financial reason I use Tamiya acrylic paint: before jumping into model railroad I was into the WW2 scale airplanes hobby and has quite a few jars left.
The 2nd reason is that Tamiya is the only brand available at my local hobby store.
So far I painted 1 building and I'm satisfied with the result.

For track painting I use Floquil/Polly scale solvent based paint but I had to buy it online from Ontario.

Imho model railroading seems to be more active in Ontario than in Quebec.

Just my $ .017 ( $ .02 Canadian )

abutt

Have become totally water-based...paints, scenery material, etc. I, too, have done a lot of scale building of aircraft, armor and ships, the majority being Tamiya kits. So, have dozens of bottles of Tamiya paints. Also been very happy with the several brands of water-base paints available at craft stores for sometimes less than a dollar for over 2oz bottles.

Have recently moved and am now busy re-creating my work stations, and I might add installing improvements I've meaning to do for years. Nothing like starting with a "clean slate".

The layout is still in five long pieces and have yet to make a final decision on its new configuration.:)

Russ Bellinis

Generally the reason to buy model railroad paints is to get prototypical railroad colors. Unless you are modeling a specific prototype railroad right of way building in a standard railroad colors, you can save a lot by buying water based craft paints at the craft store. You generally don't need specific railroad colors for structures.