Packing Peanuts

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Bob,
I haven't gotten into using expanded polystyrene foam for layout building, but it would seem to me that if you're using foam sheet, you could also use the peanuts to grow mountains. They would be a means to add contours, and elevations, to an otherwise flat area.

Bob Collins

That is what prompted the question in the first place. I think I'll try a couple of experiments by using white glue and crushing some peanuts and see how they look and then just taking a bunch of them as they come out the box and do that too. I keep trying to think how you might be able to take a piece of a sheet of foam and glue the peanuts on one at a time to create the texture for a cliff face or the like??

Bob

billk

I don't think the shape (and size, depending on scale) would lend them to making a cliff face texture, but what the hey, it's worth a shot. How about if you ground them up into smaller pieces? Maybe they could be used to make individual rocks?

Of course, you could just feed them to your foam elephant - you do have a foam elephant, right?

jon-monon

The tube shaped cornstarch ones are quite edible. If you ever get locked in your train room for an extended period of time, by say, an angry spouse, they could extend your life and keep you from eating the layout itself. I used to work with a good salesman of questionable sanity who used to eat the peanuts in shipping to shock people.