Packbot Scout - Operation Enduring Freedom, et al

RocketmanTan

Mar 21, 2010
New York, NY
rocketmantan.deviantart.com
After I first saw PackBot in action at a robotics exhibition at the New York Hall of Science back in the early 2000s, I've been obsessed with robotics. Something about having an artificial construct capable of basic thought, reasoning, and perception, and having a race of artificial life walk (or roll) alongside us is both fascinating and disturbing.

PackBot is probably one of the first robotic 'soldiers' to have seen active duty, with different variants serving with EOD techs, urban-combat teams, and even going along on LRRPs. The PackBot scout, however, is the focus of the model, and is probably the most rugged (albeit simplest) version of the PackBot, though it seems that it has been phased out by the end of OIF, presumably to make way for the newer, more versatile PackBot 510, 310, and FirstLook robots. Nevertheless, the scout served valiantly as a sort of robotic point-man for reconnaissance teams overseas and even during 9/11.

Depending on how my battalion's wifi holds up during the next few days, I'll either upload build pics as the testbuild goes along, or I'll just post a gallery at the end.

In the meantime, have some preview pics:
ymioQYb.png

oqADFIY.png

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Very interesting, be nice if you posted pictures of the actual units you are modeling. :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Cool, I think you must be the first to model one of these. :)