Pacific Western Rails Systems Retail Ltd -- a good comany?

scotterdavid

Jan 5, 2007
Hi,

I wonder if anyone could please help me. I'm based in the UK, and few days ago I send a email enquiry to a company in the Surrey/Vancouver area called PWRS Retail Ltd. PWRS Retail Ltd is a company dealing in equipment for model railroad modellers and as I'm just getting started in the hobby I mailed for advice. I was little surprised when the president of that company offered to contact me by 'phone. That sort of thing doesn't tend to happen in the UK, and so, as I say, I was rather surprised.

This is certainly not a complaint, however when the conversation turned to the matter of my credit card details I felt a little nervous. Giving out these details to a stranger on the other side of the world isn't normally the done thing in the UK. On the whole, however I felt confident that Dan Huberman known what he was talking about and all appeared to be above board (if a little unconventional). As a safe guard I decided to suspend the card until I confident about this situation.

Is there someone who posts to the Gauge that can vouch for this company (and Dan Huberman), please. As I say, on the surface all does appear to be well, however we are well aware of internet fraud in the UK and fraud must be convincing if it's going to work. I repeat that this is in no way a complaint. If the company (and Dan) are genuine then I can accept that he likes to do business in an older fashioned, more personal, way.

Thanks -- David.

lock4244

Nov 10, 2003
Scarborough, ON
Visit site
I can tell you from my experience that PWRS is a reputable company. I have bought from them (via credit card over the phone) several times in the past and I have never had an issue with them. PWRS does alot of special runs (mostly through Intermountain). I think Dan's objective is to grow the business, not scam people, and they have been around for a good number of years. Pretty sure you can rest easy. They are on the pricy side of things, but reputable.

Heath

May 1, 2006
Victoria, BC Canada
Hello David,
I live in Victoria, BC. A short distance from where they are situated. I have made several purchases with them and have been great to deal with. Turn around time has been fantastic as you don't have to wait from a typical 4 to 6 weeks at a local hobby shop while they amass an order to place at i.e. Walther's. PWRS places orders with Walther's typically from what they tell me sometimes 2 to 4 times a WEEK. So, bottom line is if Walther's happens to have it in stock, you get your product much quicker with PWRS. Price's are another major incentive to order from them as well.
Great company to deal with and highly recommend them.
Heath

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
I was contacted a number of years ago by who I would presume to be the proprietor of PWRS about using one of my photos as an illustration on their web page. When I inquired about the compensation being offered he simply chose to ignore me and I've not heard from them since. After I relayed that story to a friend he mentioned that I was lucky to have even been contacted as previously the company had used peoples' photos without even asking first.

Biased turkey

Apr 10, 2006
Montreal, Canada Eh
Thanks for the comments Heath and lock4244.
I just check their inventory and they stock quite a few brands of N scale equipment.
I'm sure my next Kato switching locomotive will be purchased from them.
P.S. I usually purchase online from The Credit Valley Railway Company Ltd: Index in Mississauga Ontario. I like to deal with them because they are fast and friendly, but their Kato inventory could be better.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
PWR is a company with a "history." The history was somewhat negative for quite some time for reasons I won't go into as I am a local here in Greater Vancouver and do talk to some of the guys in the company. The company has qualitatively changed course in the last couple of years so that now I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them. In fact my son just purchased a large order of HO Royal Hudson cars that are spectacular; only 50 sets made so if you are interested, better order quickly.

Do negotiate price.

lock4244

Nov 10, 2003
Scarborough, ON
Visit site
Biased turkey said:
I usually purchase online from The Credit Valley Railway Company Ltd: Index in Mississauga Ontario. I like to deal with them because they are fast and friendly, but their Kato inventory could be better.

I love Credit Valley... but I live in Toronto and it's only a 45 minute drive (without traffic) to visit the store so I have no idea what they are like to buy from over the phone. The store has a great selection of N scale stuff... perfect for me.

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
Another positive experience here.
I bought two Intermountain cylindrical hoppers (for investment purposes ;)) - one arrived damaged in it's box, apparently damaged when it was initially packed as there was no damage to the box itself. I sent some pictures of it back to Dan and they quickly sent a replacement and even covered the cost of shipping the damaged car back to them.