P2K Drive Shaft Failure

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Driving the E8 'round the layout this morning and suddenly there was a grinding sound followed by it slowing to a crawl. Upon closer inspection I found part of the front drive shaft had snapped off and was laying there just spinning. I've included a picture for your viewing.

Anyone got a part number? I can write LifeLike and maybe they'll send me one. Until then the E8 must be shelved - sniff! :(

Attachments

• busted-e8.jpg
    busted-e8.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 160

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi msh...

Sorry to hear about the "technical difficulties".

My Life-like P2K heritage 0-6-0 came with an exploded view of all the parts. Does the regular P2K series include such a plan? (and did you keep it is the other question... ;))

Andrew

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Nope - never had it. It was a gift from a friend. No docs of any kind.

Actually, I suddenly recall martyw having an E8 and that he gave me a part number for a fuel tank once.

Marty! I can't email you! Save me again!

marty w.

Jun 11, 2002
Bloomington, IN
Visit site
Hi msh,
Looks like you need P/N 584112, Worm Gear Pkg, contains: bearings, washers, worms, U-joints male and female drive shafts, splines. They do not sell the drive shafts separately.

Hope this helps. I do have access to a scanner now and I can e-mail you this manual if you wish.
Marty

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
TA DAAAA!!! There you are, Marty!

Oh boy.... the whole kit, eh? Well at least I have a part number and can send them a little note and ask how much.

And YES - feel free to email me what you've got on this guy. I like it so much I may buy another - but not for a while.

Thanks!!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
One of the fellow club members in the modular club I belong to here in So Cal mentioned at a recent meeting that he had a p2k Alco P.A. making a lot of noise. He took both of his P.A.s apart and found the gearboxes on one of them so over oiled that it was dripping. The other unit was completely dry. He immediately took apart the rest of his p2k locomotives and found that half of them showed no evidence of any oil in any of the gear boxes. Aparantly lifelike's quality control with regard to lubrication is spotty at best. That drive shaft may have broken because of a stiff unlubed gearbox on the truck.

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
Since the drivetrains of the P2K locos are basically built from Athearn parts, replacement parts from Athearn should fit. It looks to me that what broke is called a 'splined coupling'. If you can measure the length and compare it to available lists, getting replacements should be easy and fairly cheap.
I found 3 different lengths of shafts available at Cascade & Pacific Shops with 12 in a pack for less than $4.50. Click on their 'Storefront' and choose 'Athearn' and look for the ones you need.
The part numbers and lengths I found are:
34025 - 7/8" spline
34217 - 1" spline
40015 1¼" spline
Hopefully this helps you, and maybe even someone else...

Pete

BillD53A

Mar 23, 2002
Fort Myers Florida
Visit site
I'm not so sure that all P2K drive parts are interchangeable with Athearn. The ones I have seen were similar in design to Athearn, but not exact copies of the Athearn parts. The axles are the only parts I have seen that are drop-in replacements. Go to the Life-Like website and find the phone number for their customer service and give them a call. I got replacement wheelsets from them in about a week.

msh

Jul 2, 2002
Charlotte, NC
www.moctezuma-us.com
Last night I wrote LifeLike requesting information on the part I need. This morning I heard back - more specifically from Shawaunna in Customer Service. She's promised to send out p/n 584112 right away. That's truly good C.S., and is the 2nd time she has pulled me from the fire.

Thanks to Marty for the part number!
Thanks to Shawaunna for the part!

Viva La Gauge!!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by msh
Last night I wrote LifeLike requesting information on the part I need. This morning I heard back - more specifically from Shawaunna in Customer Service. She's promised to send out p/n 584112 right away. That's truly good C.S., and is the 2nd time she has pulled me from the fire.

Thanks to Marty for the part number!
Thanks to Shawaunna for the part!

Viva La Gauge!!

I've had very good luck with LL service. Had an old 0-6-0 from ebay with a cracked gear and they sent me the whole wheelset free. When I got it it was wrong, so they sent me a new loco!