P2K Canadian National Fa1,2 questions

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Glen Haasdyk, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

I'm looking into buying an Proto 2000 Fa unit. I know the an FA-1 was built in the older CN green/gold scheme. Did life-like make an FA-2 in the same era paint? What are the detail features of the shells, I've never seen one up close and I can't seem to find any good pictures. are there see-through grills, what is the lighting like? opening doors? ect.
    Thanks for any help.
  2. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

The P2K FA2 has see through grills, contant brigthness directional lighting (on DC), and a semi detailed cab with crew. It has fine detail down to scale looking wipers. No doors open. It has a nice motor with two large brass flywheels and runs really nice and smooth with great low speed running. A bonus on these is the the cooling fan is operational via a belt off of a flywheel and is very visible through the fan cover on the roof of the units. They are nice machines for the money. Fred
  3. Glen Haasdyk

Thanks Fred, what about the FA-1? Does it have the same detailing along with the moving fan? I found a good deal on an FA-1 but unfortunetly CN only had FA-1s no FB-1.
  4. Fred_M

Fred_M Guest

I can only can speak about the Fa2s firsthand. I have never seen a 1. Fred
  5. NYC-BKO

NYC-BKO Member

Glen,
    Trainworld has the FA-2 A/B for 49.99 right now, I just got me a NYC set, can't beat the price, both powered. If you get the FA-1 set and need to get rid of the B unit e-mail me, I would be interested in it.
    They also have the FA-1 sets for the same price.
    I don't know if they have CN, you would have to call them, their website is hard to navigate, I never found what they have available as far as roadnames, I just call.
  6. Glen Haasdyk

Unfortunetly the Canadian roadnames are only readily available in Canada, done by Hobbycraft Canada. So I doubt that trainworld would be carrying them. I really don't want to repaint it since it already comes in the paint I want and the cost of paint and decals would push it over the price of what I can get the FA-1 for. I'd actually perfer to have an FA-2 but I might just settle for the FA-1.
    I still want to know about the fans on the FA-1
  7. Pete

Pete Member

8. Glen Haasdyk

Pete,
    That was the one I was looking at. I just bought it. Now I can retire my Trainline FAs.
  9. Glen Haasdyk

I got my FA-1 today.Thanks for all the help. It does hove opening cab and diaphram doors which I think is pretty neat. It's circling my layout as I speak and its the quietest engine I have (everything else is athearn) The detail it amazing with even the fan visible through a photo-etched grill!