P2K BL-2 problem

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Hi !

I am confused about my new P2K BL-2 locomotive.
My understanding is that this new loco is DCC ready, but I don't see a chip plug when I open her up. Where I think the plug should be, there is just what looks like an up-side-down circuit board (several solder cones up).

I called Life-Like - but no one was there that could answer my questions!

The loco also seems to have less power (and dimmer lights) than my other models (Atlas, Stewart and Athearn). Great detail, though! Does anyone else have this model and these problems ??? Or, if not, have some ideas ?????

I would appreciate any feedback you have on these problems!
This is my first P2K - a bit disappointing at this point. :-(

Thanks in advance !!!

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hello irml, I have several proto 200 locos, E7, E8, PA, FA, GP20 and GP7's. I do not have a BL2, however the setup you describe with the upside down pcb sounds like the arraingement used in the GP7. I should mention that the E7. PA and FA all have straight forward DCC plugs, the E7 and PA need extensions to the harness to get the decoder back to where it fits, the GP20 and E8 have to be hard wired, and the GP7, and apparently the BL2, have an upside down pcb which you need to remove, then you will find the DCC socket beneath. I am at work now and do not remember exactly how to explain what you need to do, when you remove the pcb it should become obvious. With the GP7, I had trouble getting the shell back on after decoder installation, there isn't much room. I suggest you call Tony's Train Exchange (800-978-3472). If you haven't done decoder installations yet, they will help you. They have plug and play decoders for the GP7 ( I didn't use them) which may work with the BL2 as well. Web site is www.ttx-dcc.com I have no connection with them, I am a customer of theirs and have been very happy with their service.

Good luck, Gary

IMRL393

Aug 7, 2001
Visit site
Gary -

Thanks for the information - just what I needed!

- George

PS Sorry I forgot to sign my first message - one can get *too* cute with these nicknames!

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
George, I went into the ttx site and saw that the decoder for the GP7 does indeed fit the BL2. For $25.00, I think it is the way to go. You can buy $15 decoders, you would have a hard time fitting it, and it won't program on the main or have adjustable speed tables. I may pick up a B&M BL2 for interchange duty, if I do, i will buy the GP7 decoder for it.

Gary