Overland Tank Drive

Discussion in 'Product Review Forum' started by kutler, Nov 8, 2007.

1. kutler

kutler Member

I've recently been exposed to my first Overland tank drive.

I'd wish it were a better product. Of course it didn't work after receiving it off ebay.

Right off the bat i knew something was wrong as one of the U-joints had become disconnected.

It's no fun ripping brass apart, but this was rather straight forward.

It looked like there might be several locations were shorting might be occuring, so I stripped the shell off. The motor seems to be fighting itself most of the time, although on several occasions I managed to get it to turn over. There seems to be binding in the trucks as well.

It just seems to be a poorly designed drive unit.
  2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I have never heard any ill word about Overland (other than what I've spread, and that is not a quality issue). On the other hand, I don't trust Ebay, and I prefer to support my local hobby shop, there, at least, I can get support and service.
  3. kutler

kutler Member

If tank drives were so good why did overland go to tower drives in a short period of time?

I've been told to open the gear box and look for split gears a common ailment of this manufacturer.

Ebay is OK. Heck my dealer doesn't stock 1% of the variety found on Ebay.
  4. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

"What" I can usually explain, "why"? that's a subject best explained by the manufacturer. Have you asked them about your problem? I haven't needed to deal with them directly, but it would be worth a try.
    Pete