Overhead Crane

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Drew1125, Nov 29, 2001.

1. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

That was a fantastic full moon we had last week! Thanks for the pic!

I tried to take a picture of it, too, but all I could get with my cheap little digital camera was a white dot on a black field. :( I thought it would have been cool to use some images of the rising moon as a digital backdrop for some layout photos...

-Rory
  2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Great picture upguy!
    I was thinking along the same line as Rory -
    That would be an ideal backdrop for a winter scene!
  3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

OK, back to the crane -
    While we were discussing the weather, I managed to get it assembled, & painted. Here's a couple of pics...

Attached Files:

4. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Here's a shot of it sitting on the layout.
    I think I'm going to build some kind of little shanty to house the operator.

Attached Files:

5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Here's an overhead view that might be a little better.

Attached Files:

6. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Outstandind job on that crane Charlie! I may need one for the furniture factory at Tellico Gap (when I get around to building Tellico Gap), how much do you charge for those things? Can you custom build it to certain specs(height, lenght and width?
  7. Bill Pontin

Bill Pontin Member

Charlie, great job, that looks like it actually runs and is a working model. Wished I had the room I would copy and install one on my layout. Charlie, did you make the lattice support beams or can that be purchased. I have seen it for larger scales but nothing close to N scale as you show.

Bill
  8. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

It fits into the scene very well Charlie. Looks like it has always been there. Nice work.
  9. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Thanks for the compliments Guys!
    Tyson, I've never really thought about building one for anyone else. In fact, that's the only one I've evr built! I did have to build it to fit my space.
    Bill, all the components I used were actually HO scale. The I beams, "legs", & X-bracing all came from an HO Kibri cement plant. The box girders that form the top of the structure are part of a set made by Central Valley, & are really scaled more for HO, but I used the smallest ones in the set. The "motors" are part of the air-brake system I salvaged from an HO freight car.
    I got the idea for this crane after seeing one at a local factory that fabricates metal pipe. The real one is even larger than the one I built, & has corrugated side walls & a roof. I wanted mine to be open, so it wouldn't block the view of other scenes on the layout. I'm not sure how acurate, or credible the model is, since I had to guess at a lot of it, incase of you are industrial engineers! :eek:
    Me?...I'm just an N-gineer! :D
  10. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

And a darn good one I might add!!! If you change your mind about having the K & I subcontract the crane work for the NM please let me know.:)