Ov10a Bronco

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by YuG, Jul 4, 2007.

1. YuG

YuG Member

Two years ago while browsing internet I happened to find out ML Card Model and this OV10A BRONCO model impressed me at a glance then bought it on impulse.
    As glossy painting of real plane is very attractive, I wanted to make my model glossy too.
    I bought glossy photo print paper of 0.18mm thick but found out it was not stiff enough to keep its shape.
    Then I came up with the idea for making it with “double skin” technique.
    First, cut ordinary card a bit smaller than cutting line in lateral direction so that outer glossy skin can be glued on inner skin without making gap at joint parts.
    Fuselage frames and wing ribs too had to be cut a bit smaller than designed.
    Inside cockpit, except instrument panels I printed all the parts on ordinary paper.

I had to cut all the skins twice but managed to have glossy BRONCO at last.

On the other day I bought Corsair racer at GreMir. I am going to make it in a similar way

Here are pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Clashster

Clashster Member

Very impressive! Great job! ML Card models are top notch and you did a great job with it! Looking forward to seeing the Corsair!

Chris
  3. OldMan

OldMan Member

Very nice build, YuG!:thumb: Thanks for sharing images!
  4. YuG

YuG Member

Hi guys,

Thank you.
    Chris I agree with you. ML Card Models are topnotch and I have been waiting for their release of camouflage version of BRONCO.
  5. Zathros

Zathros Guest

One of my favorite planes and the best representation I have seen of it!!
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

That is a very good looking paper model. I always liked the way those airplanes looked. Nice job!:thumb:
  7. YuG

YuG Member

Hi,

Thanks for dropping in and leaving encouraging note!
  8. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Nice one there sir!!!

I have one here myself, but haven't started it because of pressing scheds...

I'll build mine to represent my father's OV-10, and I'll use his flight manual and my walkaround and researched photos to build it, and modify some of the inaccurate parts, and to apply some "new" techniques that I'm devising :-D
  9. YuG

YuG Member

Hi Hans,

Hmmmm….
    Flight manual!!! a lot of research and something up your sleeve. There must be something looking forward to:thumb:
    Can’t you whisper it to me confidentially? I think we must share modeling tip for the development of the card model worldwide regardless of citizenship…… We all are card modeling buddies!!!

I am looking forward to seeing your upgraded version!!!
  10. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Hehehe!!! I definitely have something up here!!! :-D

I've been around this airplane since I was a toddler, and instead of playing on the playgrounds and climbing some monkey bars, I climbed up and down, inside out this airplane to my heart's content :-D (that includes the cockpit, cargo bay, the wings etc...)

Our IPMS chapter consider me as the leading club consultant for the OV-10 :-D

I'm planning to do these upgrades and mods on the card model, as well as the 1/72 scale plastic kit :-D
  11. YuG

YuG Member

It seems I have to visit here all the way from Japan every so often so as not to miss your ace in the hole
    I hope your success in MISSON BRONCO from far away Tokyo
  12. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

That is a GREAT build! Did you make the canopy yourself? If so mind sharing how you did it? I can barely make a couple panes.... I think I will try a vacuform next!
    Chris
  13. YuG

YuG Member

Hi cgutzmer,

Thank you for your kind words.
    It is my pleasure to share techniques with other modelers for further improvement.
    Contrary to your expectation, the way I made this canopy was primitive and I am afraid you will be disappointed.
    I used balsa wood for mold because it is easy to cut and file. But, it has drawback. It is so soft that difficult to make surface smooth. There are many small dent and hump on its surface even after filing with fine emery paper.
    First, I tried polyvinyl chloride sheet wrapping it around the mold then hold it with gloved hand and applied heat putting it a little bit above cookstove’s flame.
    It is easy to form but dent and hump of mold surface reflected on the sheet.
    Then tried OHP(Over Head Projector) film. OHP film is hard to form but it does not reflect inequality of mold surface.
    As it was impossible to make it one-piece, I cut it into 4 pieces; front, top, both sides, then wrapped around the mold and applied heat as same way as tried with polyvinyl chloride sheet.

I hope above explanation would be of any help to you
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yes thank you! You should look into the vacuforming. There are a couple links in the reserves. :) Since you used the stove you are well on your way :)
    Chris
  15. YuG

YuG Member

Could you tell me are there any threads describing vacuform?
    I do not want to use stove anymore. Even with glove on its too hot and dangerous sometimes
  16. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

17. YuG

YuG Member

Thanks a lot.
    I have saved two PDFs in my computer.
    Here Tokyo is already 8:30PM. While you are working I will go through vacuform technique:mrgreen:
  18. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I have today off so you can go through those while I work on my p-40 warhawk :)
    Chris
  19. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

I've not posted for sometime now... and this is the moment to do so on one of my favorite aircraft...

Yug, you did a great innovation there and the skin looked convincingly real with your treatment... Below is my profile rendering of Hans' father's personal mount, Bronco 636...I'd do one in this markings not to compete with Hans but as way of a TRIBNUTE to his dad....(I got Hans blessing on the images)..

[​IMG]

Cheers...
  20. YuG

YuG Member

Thanks for cool picture. I saved it.
    With Hans and you build, we will have three color scheme BRONCOS.
    We are BRONCO brothers!!! Aren't we?

BTW when I built my BRONCO I tried to find out real plane's pictures but only a few