OV10 Bronco

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by barry, Jan 14, 2005.

1. murban

murban Member

Hi Barry,

great canopy - and amazing details inside. I feel tempted to pull the ejection seat release to see if it works ;)

regards,
    Michael
  2. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Bazzer

Very nice build mate, the canopy looks fantastic.

If you use nail varnish remover on a cotton bud and dab it, the glue will come off the canopy.

Have fun

Rob
  3. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Oh boy...

it really makes me want to buy one... :lol:
  4. barry

barry Active Member

Tail fin

Part of the attraction this kit has for me is the massive tail fins the only trick now is to make them match up when fittingthe tailplane between them.

I found the interior structure for the inside formers a bit odd probably because I have a heavy cold which has turned my brain off. I threw away the tail fin top former and found that the parts matched up beautifully anyway. Any body thinking of building this kit needs to remember the fin is cambered on the outside only.

I was looking round the net for pics of the Bronco and came accross several that showed the fire services version so anyone who does not like guns and bullets it would make a really striking finish to the model.

[​IMG]

@Rob

The nail varnish remover worked a treat on the glue I could get at improved it a whole lot.

@michael

Thanks for the kind words I think if you pulled the handles it would catch fire instead of ejecting.

@Hans

Force yourself go buy one it's a good build and different.

barry
  5. Hans Christian

Re: Tail fin

I'll try it on my birthday this may! :wink:

I'm doing a plastic one here, (I have about 9 plastic models here of the plane, all in 1/72 scale)

When I got my hands on this one, I'll edit all of the inaccuracies of the model (I know that thing to the rivet [sort of :lol: ]) and repaint it to represent my dad's plane :wink: (and also [maybe] my godfathers' too... :wink: )
  6. Jimi

Jimi Member

oh nice.. :) ov-10s are probably one of the most durable planes built. My grandma lives at cavite city which is only one jeep ride to Sangley AFB and when i was a child, i often watch OV-10s and MG-520 choppers fly. Hehehe. Nice hans. Good to have a PAF cardmodel added to the hangar. :wink:
  7. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Did a bang up job of the canopy, of King of the Canopies! :lol:

That tail is coming out great too!

I like to check out photos of the real deal too just to be sure I'm not assembly the blasted thing the wrong way. :lol: It is also a great reference, if you can find enough photos, to check alignments, details and such. Although I'm sure the instructions with this kit are excellent, as they usually are, it doesn't hurt to see some additional references.

Looking forward to more, mate!

Cheers!

Jim
  8. Hans Christian

I used to watch dad as he zooms in low level during some structural tests... :wink: after landing, I always climb up to the cockpit & pretend :lol: (the crew chief applies the safety pins first though, hehe!!! :lol: )
  9. barry

barry Active Member

OV10 booms and tailplane

Hi All

Well I decided I couldn't put it off any longer had to see if the booms would line up or stand on it luckily they seem to line up so it lives for another day anyway. I fitted one boom then the tailplane lined it more or less level then stuck the other boom on, seemed to be the best way at the time.

So far everything has been a good fit.

[​IMG]

The wings are only a push fit at the moment got some more bits to do on the fuselage.

[​IMG]

Ruler is 30 cms

[​IMG]

@Hans

Know what you mean in a way I built flight simulators for most of the worlds airlines back in the days when the OV10 first flew. I got to fly most of the test sequences on a lot of them, biggest toy train in the world especially the C130. The Aussie's had a very interesting landing style they developed for Vietnam very hairy.

barry
  10. Hans Christian

Re: OV10 booms and tailplane

I see...

I'm curious about that landing style sir... Is is a technique in landing into some sort of unimproved strip? I'd like to try it to FS2002 or FS2004, since I have an OV-10 in FS2002
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Winglets

Hi All

Time for some bigger stuff again covered some of the gaping holes in the model and added the winglets(?). Any troubles in fitting is caused by my wrong choice of floppy cardboard for the booms and not putting a fold along the wing leading edge and also not taking enough care to glue the wing ribs to the wing underside but..............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My fivepeneth do I think it's value for money yes I've had several days of fun with it so far, it's a good design and it would have cost me more to go to the cinema a couple of times. If I was not so idle I could recolour it and make another model or I could do it again and try to build it as it deserves.

barry
  12. barry

barry Active Member

@Hans

It was a style these guys had adopted in Vietnam for avoiding missiles chuck out some flares drop it like a brick flatten out, drop more flares and if you can chuck the cargo out as you go down the runway and take off again DO THAT.

barry
  13. charliec

charliec Active Member

The RAAF operated De Havilland Caribous in Vietnam - an aircraft uniquely
    suited to this landing style. The Caribous are still in service with the RAAF - there isn't a satisfactory replacement for them.

Regards,

Charlie
  14. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Bazzer

A dam fine build mate, I think thats another I will have to add to my collection :roll:

The canopy gives the whole thing a fantastic look, very well done and scratch built to 8)

Another bird soon I think :lol:

Rob
  15. Hans Christian

Thanks for the technique sir!!! Will do that in FS2002 :wink:
  16. Jim Krauzlis

Jim Krauzlis Active Member

Barry, I agree with Rob...that canopy really is the thing that draws you eye to this bird, not just because it is large (and well done, I might add) but because of all the interesting things visible from inside!

Well done, mate!

Looking forward to more pics when you can. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Wow! Barry............I'm still green with envy........you are putting out some very good/beautiful builds! Thanks!
  18. Drakeo1

Drakeo1 New Member

Ah that is a great looking build Barry
  19. Hans Christian

Sir Jim's right, the canopy is so huge (for newbies to the plane, the canopy is wider than the fuselage) that you can see what's below you when you fly.

Since its an FAC and also a recon plane, the big canopy is essential.

Here's the image of the real deal with my dad posing in the canopy door (this pic is before he made his bombing run againts some rebel butt during the Philippine anti-rebel campaign during 1993) :wink:

[​IMG]
  20. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Oh, did that canopy turn out well after all, or what! - L.