OV-10 Bronco from ModelArt/Zarkov (Black Ponies Edition)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by DavidESP, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, and I hope everyone has had a good holiday period. Over the last few days, I have gotten a little more done on the model.
    Here we start with the left engine and boom parts:
    [​IMG]

The partially completed boom:
    [​IMG]

And a couple of shots of the completed boom:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That's all for now, I plan to start working on the other boom this evening.

Saludos
  2. exzealot

exzealot Member

You're making good progress. Nice job!

Ken
  3. exzealot

exzealot Member

I noticed something in a previous posting that I wanted to comment on concerning the coloring of tires. Someone mentioned using "sharpies" for the tires. This works fine, but for me, Testors flat black enamel paint works even better. It tends to blend into the printed blackwalls better, and also fills in a little between tire laminations. Maybe it's the cardboard I was using, but the sharpies made the treads a bit shiney.

Ken
  4. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Looking great. Wish I could be doing the same. I think that paint idea is good one. I would go with that I'm thinking. I can see so many tricks I would use though in designing the model from graphic arts standpoint. But it's surely a great kit to begin with. I guess it's all those years doing graphics for flight sim aircraft. ;)

I took a look for some vids on the Bronco on YouTube. Apparently there was a movie about to be made on the Bronco but going to the movie site it's got a under construction thing happening :( so perhaps the movie has been shelved or is in deep production :)

Keep up the great work.. Looking forward to more.. Hope you had a great holiday too.
  5. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

I love the tail booms, very nice!!! :-D
  6. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, went away for an extended weekend and got back yesterday. I finished up the other engine/tail boom yesterday evening and hope to start on covering the wing today.

Right engine/tail boom:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Saludos
  7. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Looking good. I thought maybe something catastrophic had happened to the model as there hadn't been many updates recently.. ;) Nice to see it's back on track.

Keep up the good work.
  8. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hey all. Ronson, the holidays over here in Spain are somewhat longer than the US/Canada and with visiting family and so forth, not much time for the model.

Last night, I finished up the wing. Here are some of the pieces and the wing completed. In the last shot, the wing is not glued in place yet.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hope to work on the tail plane and weapons sponsons this evening.

Saludos
  9. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, a further update on the build. Last night, I finished up the sponsons and tail wing.
    The weapons sponsons:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The tail wing:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

This evening I will be starting on the landing gear.

Saludos
  10. exzealot

exzealot Member

Coming along nicely. Do you have the canopy for this, or do you have to make one??

Ken
  11. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Looking real good. Glad to see your progressing so smoothly.

I suspect your getting close to complete at this point. The gear should be a challenge though I'm sure. It's one of the things I would fear when working aircraft models. I'm looking forward to see how that turns out. You've built one of these before so it should be pretty easy ;)

Looking forward to your next update..
  12. Hans Christian

13. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, haven't abandoned it, just been busy and haven't spent as much time with the model, so the landing gear took 4 days to build.

Kenlwest, the plans come with the template to cutout a canopy from a flat sheet, but I am going to try to make a mold and form one with a heat gun.

Ronson, I have built 5 aircraft models, but the only one with a retractable style landing gear was the "Judy" and it was much simpler. Anyway, on with the update.

Here is a picture of the wheels ready for mounting, with some of the parts cutout and the wire stiffeners bent:
    [​IMG]

Here we have the forward gear completed:
    [​IMG]

These are of the left rear gear partially completed and completed:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

A picture of all 3 landing gear completed:
    [​IMG]

This last picture is the assembly of the wings, tailplane and booms:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully I won't be a long between updates.

Saludos
  14. exzealot

exzealot Member

Looking Great! The landing gear is awesome. I personally find that some of these landing gear designs are the most painstaking aspects to these models. You tackled yours very nicely.

As far as the canopy is concerned, I have developed my own technique using a wood form and birthday candles. If you are interested, see my build on the GPM ME262 build thread. I show it step by step. Works great.

Ken
  15. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Looking awesome. Great gear. I was thinking there was something other then paper holding it together (perhaps even Dowels) but wire works well I'm sure.

Keep up the great work and as Kenlwest was mentioned it. I'm looking forward to seeing your canopy too.
  16. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all.

Ken, thanks for the method, but I don't have the woodworking tools available here for wooden forms. I will make my form using the paper template and 2 part resin.

Ronson, the wire supports are from the instructions.

Last night I worked on the weapons sponsons, mounting the 4 7.62 machine guns and the sponsons to the fuselage. The machine guns are .75mm wire colored with a black Sharpie.

A couple of pictures of the guns mounted:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And the sponsons mounted to the aircraft:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Until the next update.

Saludos
  17. Hans Christian

nice touch on the sponson guns!!!
  18. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all and thanks Hans. Well I got a bit of progress over the last couple of days. The wing assembly is attached to the fuselage and the landing gear is in place.

Here is a picture of the wing attached:
    [​IMG]

These pieces are the forward gear doors:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The doors and forward gear in place:
    [​IMG]

The main gear doors:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The main gear and doors in place:
    [​IMG]

Finally, resting on the gear:
    [​IMG]

That's it for now, being Sunday, don't know if I'll get much done today, so until the next one, take care.

Saludos
  19. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Looking great. I've never scene a bronc with guns mounted before? Love the gear and looks like you nearly done.. just the canopy and props to go?

Keep up the great work.
  20. exzealot

exzealot Member

Wow! This sure came out fantastic.

The cockpit is the eyecatching centerpiece of this unique aircraft, and you did it justice.

Thanks for all the pics too!

Ken