OV-10 Bronco from ModelArt/Zarkov (Black Ponies Edition)

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by DavidESP, Dec 17, 2008.

1. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, it's been a while since I have posted here. Been busy and it was hard to maintain multiple threads.

I have recently started the ModelArt recolor of Dr.Zarkov's OV-10 Bronco to the Black Ponies VAL-4 squadron in Vietnam. All of the parts sheets are the same as the other versions of the OV-10 except for an extra sheet with the parts to make 4 rocket pods.

Here are some shots of the parts and building up of the cockpit:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These are of the pilots instrument panel, seat backs and the seats:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That bring the build up to date. I will try to keep it as current as possible as I progress.

Saludos
  2. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Bronco's everywhere.. I seen a build on papermodelers.com and another person looking for a freeware model of one here. They are very cool aircraft. I'm hoping that I can get one for myself soon. I like the Desert Camo version myself. They have another coming out soon too so I may wait and see what that one looks like but probably get the desert version.

I'll be following your build though looks really good so far. A couple things I might do though is remove the seat belts and ejection handles from the aces seat and put in 'unpainted' on ones (could even use fabric?). For the ejection handles perhaps a small piece of painted wire. Just to give the seats an added dimension. Your seats look great to be sure.

It's truly a unique bird and I love the twin boom aircraft as a rule. It would be cool to do one up in the CalFire paint scheme. Where I'm thinking many of the retired birds landed.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/87/Cdf-ov10-N415DF-071022-fox-02-16.jpg

Keep up the great work
  3. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

If I find an experienced painter, we could see it. The person who painted the DS and BP is probably tired of this aircraft already. But I'll ask him anyway.

Moshe
  4. exzealot

exzealot Member

Very nice! I especially like the detail on the instrument panel. To me, the IP always makes a huge difference on the "realism" of the model - gives the aircraft a "functional" look.

Ken
  5. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Thanks for the comments. Kenlwest, I like to do that with all of my models that have instrument panels. Ronson, I'm leaving the seats as is on this one. I have the Desert Storm version as well, and will try your suggestion on that one.

I've mounted the second instrument panel and finished the interior of the cockpit:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Next up is the nose section:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hope to finish up the rest of the main body of the aircraft today although the nose doesn't look quite right to me and I may do it over again.

Saludos
  6. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Despite the seriousness of that job. Flying a bronco at high speed just above the tree tops spotting firejumpers has got to be one of the coolest jobs on the planet.

Cockpit looks very cool.. I'm liking this kit more and more all the time. Need to get my hands on one :)

For the nose - Perhaps a thinner piece of card stock or thick paper (one used for double sided printing - bout twice the thickness of standard ink jet paper) for the nose. Seems like there could be a bit to much bulk? May need to play with the length of the stripped sections if using thinner paper? I'm thinking the outer dimension is based on the thickness of the card stock so if it's thinner that needs to be a bit longer to compensate. Easy to do though just don't cut on the 'line' give it a bit more length when cutting then match it up underneath. If to big a bit of trimming then..

Coming along nicely though...
  7. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

cool.. looking forward to that too.. man broncos are taking over.. very cool.
  8. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, had a pretty productive evening yesterday, so on with the update.

Ronson, the problem I had with the nose was because it wasn't aligned correctly to the cockpit section and the tip was flattened. I rebuilt it using the same card, (I use 160g/m2 paper normally) and positioned it correctly without crushing the tip.

Also finished up the rear section of the main fuselage:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here we have the main fuselage partially complete:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also started cutting out the internal structure for the wings:
    [​IMG]

Today I hope to continue with the various internal structures that have to be made.

n810, I'm looking forward to the repaint. I lake the colors of the Cal Fire aircraft.

Saludos
  9. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Allright!!! Another build of my family member... errr... favorite airplane!!!

more pix please!!! :wave7:
  10. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

looking good. Probably with the thinner paper the crushing thing would be even more likely. I was even thinking you could use a small chuck of balsa and rap it with the paper.

I remember Tim Conrad made a FS2004 version of the Cargo Bronco. From what I remember the Cargo Bronc was a concept for the government. They had never produced one out side of the concept version so I'm not sure if you can find any data on them or not. You perhaps would have more info then I. I remember looking once to see what I could find out about it.

Would be cool though.

Those wing roots look good. Still following this build intently..
  11. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all. Ronson, here is a site that has some great history on the development of the OV-10 http://www.volanteaircraft.com/ov-10.htm .

Well, yesterday evening I spent building internal structures, here is a shot of the wing structure completed. As you can see, I like to add plenty of support bracing:
    [​IMG]

The weapons pylons:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Tail fins:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

And the tail wing:
    [​IMG]

That's it for today.

Saludos
  12. Hans Christian

great progress on the frames!!!

Also, here's the website of the OV-10 Bronco Association, packed with great references and history

www.ov-10bronco.net
  13. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Those are pretty good links. I've looked at walkarounds too they are also good. I didn't know there were quite a few variants to them.

Germany used them for Target Tugs
    US Marine and Airforce, NASA
    California CFD and Forestry
    Thailand and the Philippines still have them in service.

I remember the movie BAT21 with Gene Hackman but didn't see a bronco in it although from the book there is a mention of them being in the rescue. Not sure if the Substituted the Cessna 02 'Cessna 336' in it's place as that was used for recon aswell in Vietnam (for the movie). Probably pretty hard to get a bronco to play that role ;)

When I saw your wing structure I began digging for a cutaway drawing or exploded View of the bronco (couldn't find any online BTW).

Air International is really great at publishing such things in there magazine.
    http://www.airinternational.com/

If I get to the library soon? We're currently barried under several inches of snow right now LOL. I'm going to take a look at the Janes World Aircraft and see if there is one in there. The library used to archive magazines 'Air International' for instance but they don't anymore :( They sold all there back additions. Years of cutaways grrrrr.

Looking great. Keep those updates coming...
  14. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I'd never go to Janes for pics unless I was really hard up.. Before the internet though it was a great source of info .. Hence the Bronco.. Came about in 1960's so Janes may have a cutaway of one. Companies often used Janes as a marketing tool so they would put there best 'foot' / Image forward for others to see and perhaps make a purchase or two.. ;)

There is also Jetphotos.net
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos...-2&mainsearch=search&displaymode=1&display=15
  15. Hans Christian

Thailand already retired theirs some 3-4 years ago, but 8 of their OV-10s were transferred to us (Philippine Air Force)...

My father's OV-10 was an ex-USAF bird - s.n. 67-14636... :-D
  16. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all. Super photo page Ronson, thanks.

Last night, I cut out and glued together all of the tire parts:
    [​IMG]

Then worked on the tail fins:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also got a start on the parts for the left engine and boom.
    Hitting a few parts numbering problems between the parts pages and the instructions, so have to be careful and look closely before cutting.

Saludos

P.S. Ronson, just noticed your location, I was born and raised (until 12 years old) in western Ontario, Fort Frances to be exact.
  17. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

I was born in T.O. but moved to London when I was 7 year old. Been here since. I have two son's in law that live Sudbury.

Bronco is looking quite cool. Love the tail assembly so far. I noticed something in the wheels though and this is just an observation.

You can check this walkaround page.
    http://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/ov-10/ov-10.shtml

You will probably need to 'paint' the outside of the tires Sharpie should do pretty well. I was thinking that the Tires would get a little well 'tired' looking after awhile. Start to age a bit and go a little grayer but from the pics I've seen they are all pretty pristine looking. They must change them long before wear becomes a problem. Tires and wheels on the broncs look pretty small so they perhaps wear pretty easily (or not so easily if built for the specifically for the bronc's perhaps). I think I'm over thinking this :)

In one of the photo's 'walkaround' you will get a good view of the ejection seats. There are walkarounds in there of active birds though the Museum variety (easier access) are good but you perhaps are building a 'still in service' bird so something else you may want to concider...

Wheel Chalks - out of card or wood? (a regular pencil cut to length then split in half)
    Inspection Tags (REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT) - Printed on Double sided paper (both sides)
    Tie Downs - Black fishing line + small sowing pin (painted black).

I'm making up a bunch of 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' Flags and will upload here if not I can perhaps send to you. I have them done but have to go out 'Christmas shopping' so I'll do that when I get back home

UPDATE:
    I did the flags they look pretty good but as a tiff file the first side is over 2.5mb there is a 2meg limit here and that is just the first side of the sheet. Flip side is probably the same size. Then instructions as such. So in total about 5+mb so can't put it here. I can perhaps try to reduce the size of the file. I'm going to try that later. The flags look good and I reduced the color count down to 16 but still pretty large. The width of the paper is 85 inches. That was to get the fonts to look good in the printing of the flags at 1/10 that size they are 1/32 scale. I'm thinking you and the guy that is building the X15 could perhaps use them. Making them a JPG would ruin them I'm thinking at that scale and perhaps not compress that much anyway.

When printed the sheet will yield 455 flags. I know that's alot but at that scale it's only half a sheet of standard 8.5x11 paper. I think I'll cut that number down to say 200 flags or so. Way more then you would ever use on your aircraft perhaps 5-10 on the Bronco maybe more on the X15 but you could keep the rest in a container for when you build your next 1/32 scale bird. I made allowances for paper margin and cutting space around each flag so that shouldn't be a problem.

I got them made up. Total file size is 2.15mb (zipped). Sheet will yield 195 streamers you can of course keep them in the printed sheet (cut out as needed) or cut them all out at once and then have them ready when you want to add them to your aircraft. I can send you the zipped pack if you like (send me a PM with your personal email?) and I'll gladly send them along to you. I think I'll start a thread in case anyone else would like them?

Keep those updates coming .. Wish and yours all the best for the holiday season.
  18. Hans Christian

Not much related to modeling, but a good inspiration :-D

Here's 3 videos for you guys, featuring our local OV-10s in action

here's a video from one of our local news channel (don't mind our local language) of 2 OV-10s dropping Mk. 81 LDGP bombs on rebel positions in Mindanao (you may notice that they use Vietnam war style tactics here)

http://www.gmanews.tv/largevideo/related/26972/North-Cotabato-clashes-still-raging

(from the background noise you can here the locals cheering [like YAY!!! WWOOOWW!! :-D ] everytime the OV-10s strikes)

and here's two good quality (and long) videos from inside the observer's cockpit, shot by an aquaintance of mine and local war correspondent/reporter, Ed Lingao, who was given a ride during the aircraft's test strafing run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azc9xpLgiHA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzV3JBvwzgU

enjoy guys :-D
  19. Ronson2k3

Ronson2k3 Member

Quite cool. I used to be a draftsman in a earlier life and I clean forget about that.
  20. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, been away for a while and not had much chance to do any work on the Bronco.
    Ronson, still have to put the tires on the mini-grinder for smoothing and rounding, then acrylics for color. Like the flag and chocks idea. I'll make up some chocks, and PM you for the flags, thanks. Probably won't go as far as tie downs, the model won't be on a display base.

Saludos