Out of Hospital

shamus

Registered Member
Well, I visited the hospital and was given a load of tests. The outcome is I have Benign positional Vertigo which is incurable. There are occasions when I just cannot stand up and others times it’s not too bad. (Like now) They have given me pills to take 8 per day, Gee wiz, my stomach is in a turmoil already, guess I will just have to live with this and get back to my modelling.
Cheers and thanks for the last lot of kind words.

photo41b.jpg

vertigo

I don't envy you one bit. About 25 years ago I had an inner ear infection. Whee!!! talk about a cheap drunk, but what a living nightmare. I only had it that one time. Shamus, you've got my sympathy. I sure hope you get better and only have EXTREMELY rare bouts of it.
Lots of luck

Lynn

Drew1125

Welcome Back!

Good to have you back old friend!
Hopefully, with the medication, this condition won't impede your modeling too much.
I deduce from a photo you posted that your benchwork is fairly low. Hopefully this will allow you to work from a seated position, & not put yourself at risk of falling.
Take care Shamus.
-Charlie-

roryglasgow

High Anxiety

Glad you're back!

I'm just curious...what is causing the condition? Is this something that you've had for a long time, or is it recent?

A little over a year ago I started having serious dizzy spells, especially when I was standing or walking. I had a pain behind my jaw on one side, so I began to suspect that I had some kind of infection that was messing with my inner ear. I went to the doctor and found out that I had high blood pressure. Whenever my blood pressure would surge up to the higher levels, that's when I would get dizzy. (The pain in my jaw had to do with my grinding my teeth, of which I was not aware until the doctor mentioned it and I started thinking about it...I was doing it all the time and never paid any attention to it. I started making a conscious effort to not grind my teeth, and the pain has gone.) My biggest problem was that I was overweight (yes, pun intended). I have sleep apnea, which means that I stop breathing when I sleep. I use a CPAP machine to breath when I sleep now, and I'm on medication for the blood pressure. The dizzy spells went away, and now I'm feeling much better.

But I assume that your doctors have already thought about that stuff...

Well, just keep plugging along with the model railroad. You're very good at it! I certainly wouldn't advise you to switch to another hobby, especially model airplanes! :)

-Rory

Woodie

Vertigo

Shamus,

Welcome back. Hope they didnt' poke and prod too hard! I did some research on your condition, and by co-incidence, there was a health TV program about incurable vertigo. They were saying that it is caused by crystals that block the tubes in the inner ear that have fluid in them that moves about to make sure your balance is correct. They indicated some simple exercises (situps and moving your head at certain angles quickly) to shake the crystals loose and move the fluid about correctly. By doing certain movements etc they were able to bring on the vertigo attacks. They were having a good success rate with these exercises etc. Is your vertigo caused by the formation of these crystals? Have you heard of this therapy?

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Guys, much appreciate the kind comments, nice to know just where all your friends are, when you need them.

Thanks again.
Shamus

justind

Good to see you back

Hello Shamus, nice to have you back. I visit often in hopes of seeing the pics that you post, and your layout ideas are amazing (your layout has a life and personality, and it seems to be forever changing with the mood or your workers...very interesting to look at). Also, you keep the "hobby" part of this hobby alive with your ever unique scratchbuilding. I am sorry to hear that your situation is incurable, but hope the drugs will help...so you don't end up running your trains on the living room floor like me ;) .

Gary Pfeil

Shamus, There is nothing I can say to add to what the others have expressed, I hope your spells are few and far between. Most of all, I hope that you do not hurt yourself should you fall. I wish you all the best!

Gary

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I too am sorry to hear about your condition Shamus. It's also to let you know as others have that you are not alone in having to deal with this. My first experience was caused by high G forces when I was a pilot in the RCAF. I left the airforce as a result.
Today I have also gone through tests including catscans and so far I am just on blood pressure medication. Our thoughts are with you.

"Hou jou blink kant bo""

Glad to hear you are home. welcome to the pill takers Club .I also am taking a fist full of pills every day to stay alive. Hope they help. That heading is in Afrikaans and roughly means "Keep a stiff upper lip " actually it mean keep your bright side UP!!!
Keep Well

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Welcome Back Shamus!!! :)

What - we're starting a "Pill Takers Club"??? I'm takin 4 / day.... :) Great to have ya back "on board" shamus!!! I hope it doesn't "turn out" to be too bad!!!!! (Puns intended!!) :D

Virginian

Hi Shamus!!
Glad you're home. Still hoping you'll feel better.

...Hmmm... aren't you celebrating " The Festival of Lights" a bit early!??? :D

some of the trees have found a nice home on the hills of Sonoma County....Model Railroad Society Layout, that is. thanks again.

VGN