Our local Train store

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Just thought I would post this for anybody visiting the Western North Carolina area. Right next to the real train station here in town is Smoky Mountain Trains, a combination Train store and Lionel Museum. In the Museum section they have several thousand pieces of Lionel rolling stock and locomotives on display. They have more then they can put on display at one time so they rotate them from time to time, that way you will get to see them all over time. They also have an excellent 24 ft. X 45 ft. operating layout with several trains running at once. There are several rooms housing all of this and in one of them there are bench seats to rest, water fountain and wooden trains for the young ones to play with. I will try over these next 12 posts to give you an idea of what its like.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
There are trains running all over the place in here! :D That is a double track hanging from the ceiling and has two trains running on it. There are several more mini-layouts operating in the store windows and can be viewed from inside or outside the store. This part of the store has alot for the big railfan. Lots of Lionel and other O-Gauge and O-Scale as well. There is also some HO and N as well scenery supplies, DPM, Blair Line and Atlas products to name a few. They also have a great selection of magazines and videos as well.

Attachments

• overhead train.jpg
    overhead train.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 174
  • overhead train.jpg
    overhead train.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 174

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
This is David, David gets paid to play with the trains all day (for this he actually gets paid???? :rolleyes: :eek: :D , a job to die for or what???). Sue or Tim please make sure David doesn't see this post! :D :D :D Kidding aside the one controller in his hand lets him operate all the trains as well as the bells, whistles and horns. One case where DCC really comes in handy.

Attachments

• david.jpg
    david.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 141
  • david.jpg
    david.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 141

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
A great place to spend an hour two. You are fortunate to have it nearby. Don't know if I will ever get the opportunity to visit now that my trailering days are over.