Our Layout (Info and pics to share as goes up)

cnw1961

Hello Coyote, your layout room and the benchwork looks great. I can’t wait to see your progress. Especially as I want to model ATSF in the south west on my next layout too (don’t get misled by my user name, the avatar says it all).

cnw1961 said:
Hello Coyote, your layout room and the benchwork looks great. I can’t wait to see your progress. Especially as I want to model ATSF in the south west on my next layout too (don’t get misled by my user name, the avatar says it all).

Kurt Hallo,

Wie sind Sie Herr? It is always great to meet a fellow ATSF enthusiast. Thank you for your compliments. :) It has been a fun and very informative process of getting just to this point, one I could never have pulled off without the help and advice of my fellows modelers . :thumb:

Peace.

Coyote

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
grandpacoyote said:
Josh,

Thank you sir. That is high praise indeed... I've been following your work and you do incredible work!

I might put up some pics later of some small modeling work I've done; it's alright but nothing compared to some of the excellent stuff I've seen over on your threads.

Thanks Coyote, That really means alot to me.

I havn't really done a hole lot with my layout for a couple of weeks,:eek: been busy on e-bay shopping for christmas presents for my self (parents and grandparnts gave me money top spend on model trains):D :p :cool: Got some awsome deals on some really nice stuff. I'll get back to the layout after the holidays and have more pictures.

Can't wait to see some more SWEET work from you.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

grandpacoyote said:
Russ,

Is this what you mean sir?

Staging20.jpg

Peace.

Coyote

Yes that's it.

Pickup truck conversion

Hey Gang,

Thought I'd put up some pics of my first semi kit-bash project... It's hardly and tutorial and the work isn't all that great but thought I'd share it anyway.

I started out with WS's Hall & Duke AutoScene :

Original.jpg

After carefully prying Duke out of the truck bed I painted the truck green leaving one door it's original white.

TM095.jpg

I then cut loose and pried down the tailgate, drilled small holes and added scale wire for the bailing wire, pried the back bumper off and reattached it at an angle and weathered the whole lot.

TM096.jpg

TM099.jpg

After the weathering was done I painted and weathered a pile of WS' junk that I had trimmed to size and glued it into the truck bed.

TM122.jpg

All that is left now is for me to add "For Ranch Use Only" to the driver side door and it'll be done...

Thanks for taking a look.

Peace.

Coyote

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
WOW, that pick-up looks AWSOME and simulates many years of wear and tear around the ranch. GREAT JOB Coyote on an AWSOME little project.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BTW, that weathering looks FANTASTIC

TruckLover said:
Thanks Coyote, That really means alot to me.

I havn't really done a hole lot with my layout for a couple of weeks,:eek: been busy on e-bay shopping for christmas presents for my self (parents and grandparnts gave me money top spend on model trains):D :p :cool: Got some awsome deals on some really nice stuff. I'll get back to the layout after the holidays and have more pictures.

Can't wait to see some more SWEET work from you.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Very nice TL,

I'm looking forwards to seeing more of your work, it is inspiring to me. :thumb:

Thanks for your kind words also :)

Peace.

Coyote

Russ Bellinis said:
Yes that's it.

Got it!

Thanks for the advice Russ it was well put and I have made that change to the layout, you were quite right that now Track 6 is of a comparable length to the other tracks, great advice!

As for the cut away Swing out idea on the gate I'm looking around for that article you mentioned and seeing what other info I can find on the web about it.. it sounds like something really worth looking into so thank you that one as well. :thumb:

Your advice and comments always seem to be well thought out and informative.

Peace.

Coyote

TruckLover said:
WOW, that pick-up looks AWSOME and simulates many years of wear and tear around the ranch. GREAT JOB Coyote on an AWSOME little project.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BTW, that weathering looks FANTASTIC

Josh,

Thanks a lot! :D It was the first bit of semi kit-bashing I've ever done and my first attempt at weathering.. I learned a good deal from it and now wouldn't go so heavy with the powders but it was a fun project.

Thanks again.

Peace.

Coyote

viperman

That truck looks awesome coyote. Looking forward to some layout progress too.

Josh, looking forward to more progress on your end too. I'm finally making some headway, but still have a LONG way to go

Update - Foam

It's me again Margret...

Hi Gang.. sorry been out so long, had a busy Christmas and then got an unexpected "present" of having my computer crash and burn; it's been an uphill battle getting it back to working condition.

That all said here is the latest update on the Route 66 Railway - The OL and I were finally able to get the foam thanks to the lend of a good friends van and we hauled the stuff in looking to the neighbors like a pack of gypsies in reverse no doubt - I'm pretty sure my neighbors think I'm constructing something totally insane in the house as they watch me bring in all the odd supplies, tools and boxes...

After experimenting with a range of different tools for cutting the foam (fine toothed saw, hot foam cutter etc etc) I finally ended up doing most of the work with a WS Foam Knife and a Box cutter.

Got all the foam measured out and cut and laid in place and have about half of it glued down with Liquid Nails so far.

Here are some Pics as of tonight -

View attachment 33805 View attachment 33806

View attachment 33807 View attachment 33808

View attachment 33809

Attachments

• P1010011.jpg
    P1010011.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 809
  • P1010012.jpg
    P1010012.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 797
  • P1010013.jpg
    P1010013.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 803
  • P1010015.jpg
    P1010015.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 798
  • P1010016.jpg
    P1010016.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 787
One last thing for tonight and I'm done gang.

This is my tribute to 2006!

We started 2006 with this -

View attachment 33815

And ended 2006 with this-

View attachment 33816

View attachment 33817

Now that was one heck of a year! Here's to 2007 being even better and a salute to all of you who realized your dreams even a little bit last year! :thumb:

Peace.

Coyote

Attachments

• Room1 000.jpg
    Room1 000.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 258
  • P10100021.jpg
    P10100021.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 253
  • P10100022.jpg
    P10100022.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 253
WOW! I wish we had the money to turn our guest room or bonus room in basement into a REAL train room! Great job, I cant wait to follow the progress!

chessie4155

WOW Man thats a far out lookin room man can you dig it.. oh sorry I thought I, ah, er well, flash back..anyhoo, Nice job on the transformation...Keep us up on the progress.:thumb:

wickman

The plan looks great so does the must haves and will do's list. I like the way you planned to use the entire room and err closet space. I think your going to really enjoy the benefits of the styro board. I can't wait to see more progress pics :wave:

MilesWestern

Love the Art Deco Touches! :thumb: Did anyone mention that your paint scheme is VERY 30-40's as well? :cool: Very good work! I cannot wait to see what the future holds for your layout! :thumb:

hiscopilot said:
WOW! I wish we had the money to turn our guest room or bonus room in basement into a REAL train room! Great job, I cant wait to follow the progress!

Hiscopilot;

The OL and I have an empty nest so we decided to go for the spare bedroom as the room to convert... We looked first at converting the Garage and when our estimates topped 5k we walked away from that idea fast.

As far as the expense of the conversion on the Spare Bedroom it really wasn't that bad I'd hazard to say that it came out to be between 2,250 and 2,300 dollars total.

Th lion's share of that was to have the old carpet torn up hauled away and the Pergo wood laminate flooring put in - all of which I had Lowe's do for us as I was unable to do the job due to no knowledge of how to do it, no proper tools to do it and some limitations that keep me from doing it.

The rest was cost for paint, tape, brushes, pans, paint sprayer, new face plates for plugs and light switches etc.

Outside of the flooring all the other labour was my own.

I did no new lighting and installed no valance (which may be a problem later but heck this is our first layout gotta leave something to build towards :) ).

So over all 2,250 was well worth it and we did save up the cost for almost a year before we started in June.

Start a penny jar and see where you can get away cutting acceptable corners and before you know it you're on to something. :thumb:

Thanks for your kind words and praise, means a lot to me!

Peace.

Coyote

chessie4155 said:
WOW Man thats a far out lookin room man can you dig it.. oh sorry I thought I, ah, er well, flash back..anyhoo, Nice job on the transformation...Keep us up on the progress.:thumb:

Dig Cat it has been a real gas to crank this box together rather than just lip flappin about it man. Now if I can just haul it past the all show and no go and get her really bookin then my chick and I will have a real boss show daddy-o, you dig?

Well man thanks for the heavy post your a real gone cat.

I'm gonna cut out now.

Hang tight and watch out for the man.

Peace.

Coyote

wickman said:
The plan looks great so does the must haves and will do's list. I like the way you planned to use the entire room and err closet space. I think your going to really enjoy the benefits of the styro board. I can't wait to see more progress pics :wave:

Lynn,

Thanks, it was an uphill battle to find a way to utilize as much space as we could while still leaving room to work and good isles for movement around the layout once it's in operation but I think we've got a pretty good setup now space wise at least. :)

I'm hoping to start doing some terrain work with the foam real soon as well as laying down track, but first we need to get our layout plan printed out 1:1.

Thanks again for your words they are appreciated.

Peace.

Coyote