Ottawa (ON) Union Station

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Andrew: Thanks for the pictures. I used to go into Ottawa Union all the time when the family went up by train (from Perth). I never managed to get across the river, though. I have a painting (print) of the station with steam engines hanging in the front hall.
It's too bad that they moved the station out so that it would serve Montreal equally well.

CN1

May 6, 2003
Only in Ottawa!

What a bunch of foolish bureaucrats and politicians!!

To abandoned this marvellous building with it's fine history and splendid design, is simply baffling

To replaced it by that ugly, no personality, soulless, under-construction-looks and amateur design, that's more fitted for a provincial regional branch line is simply unbelievable!

That ugly monster is certainly not fitted to be "the station" of the Nation Capital. What a joke!!

At least Montreal and Toronto have more “common sense” and kept their stations intact.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
CN1 said:
Only in Ottawa!

What a bunch of foolish bureaucrats and politicians!!
The policy in the 60s was that "for your convenience" the Rly stations would be moved farther out of town than the airports. I don't know how many places it was actually applied in, but Ottawa was the most visible.
(Maybe I do -- how many towns don't have a station at all any more?)

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the great pix Andrew!!!! Toronto's Union station has been threatened as well with demolition (in the 80's I think) but there was such a public outcry that it was instead designated under the Heritage Railway Stations Protection Act (in 1989). Trains still operate out of the station.

It's too bad that Ottawa's Union Station no longer serves trains, but at least the building is still intact.

:thumb: Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Val,

After your post, I must point out the irony that while the "new" station is protected under Heritage designation, the old one is not... :?: Try to figure that out.

And Glen - as far as I know, the models are still there. I haven't been in a while though, so you never know...

Andrew