Other photos taken during contest shoot

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The contest was locos on bridges, but I liked a couple other photos I took which didn't meet that critera, so I'm posting them here. The first two are really the same shot, one just is cropped. I cannot so far figure out how to crop without leaving black space where I cut out, using MGI Photosuite. If anyone is familiar with it, I'd sure appreciate a tip!

Attachments

• p1010105.jpg
    p1010105.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 174

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Holy Schmokes!!!! Gary!!! I am in Awe! What fabulous modeling, such detail.

I like the paint splotches (bird poop?) on the sidewalk under the bridge, it's a detail I haven't seen before. Mind if I borrow your idea for my future layout?

Cheers,

Stan

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks everyone. Errol, O scale? No way! Thats Z scale!
Stan, yes those splotches were meant to be bird poop and gum. I guess the idea came accross, although I think they are too large. I used the smallest brush I had and just touched it to the sidewalk, but it was too large. There are smaller brushes than the one I used, but did I go buy one? Nooo. I don't hold a patent, so please go right ahead and use the idea!

Gary

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Gary,
Nice models and photo's. What proggy are you using to crop the image in, if it's photoshop or paintshop pro7, then just drag the cropper around the area you wish to keep and go to edit and crop it. The crop tool looks like an overlapped box with / through it. If you are having more troubles, let me know.
Shamus

TR-Flyer

Nov 24, 2001
SC
Visit site
Hi Gary:
Great photos! Love the detail.

Biggest surprise was seeing the C&IE being modeled. I'm starting to incorporate it into my work along with the C&IM. Picked up an S-gauge kit by PRR from Des Plaines Hobbies. Kit turned out pretty nice. Working on converting an old American Flyer crane to C&IM and a new SHS diesel switcher as well.

Thanks for the grin.
Regards,
Ted

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Shamus, The program is MGI Photosuite SE, I think it came with the digital camera my wife originally bought, a Pretec (?) the bag it came in says Vivatar. Anyway, as most of you know I'm not to swift with computer stuff. When I connect the C700 to the computer by USB and open Camedia, the program which came with the C700, thumbnails of all the shots in the camera come up. I save them to my c drive, and when I pull them up, they are in MGI Photosuite. I have tried opening Camedia, then opening a photo in it so I could use Camedia to edit. This is Camedia Master 2.5. Did you get this with your camera? If so, did you find it unacceptable and that is why you use photoshop or paintshop pro7? Thanks for your attempts to help me!

Gary

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
I think "WOW" summarizes my feelings. My favorite was the second last one (just prior to the dog) - everything looks so realistic.

I'm looking to get a CE&I boxcar myself in the next little while. I model MOPAC, so it wouldn't have been a surprise to see a CE&I box in their trains in 1980.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Gary

Suberb modelling! Just wondering how you made those "x-braces" (hope you know what I'm referring to - I don't know what they're really called). I've been trying to model an underpass using similar supports, which I've had to scratchbuild out of a package of box-girder pieces and some Plastruct I-beam.

The problem, aside from the finickity work of getting them to "cross thru" each other is in the center support. As you can see from the attached photo, that plate that goes over top of the girders where they cross each other is the wrong shape altogether - but I needed something with rivets, or thought I did. Maybe I should forget the rivets and go for the shape - what do you think?

Apologies in advance for the photo - had to scan it as I still don't have a digital camera.

Cheers
Val

Attachments

• x-beam.jpg
    x-beam.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 80

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks for the compliments! That C&EI car that has drawn a few comments is just an Athearn car. I didn't paint and letter it so I can't claim to have modeled it. It is a nice car and I would think still available. I know Athearn adds and drops roadnames from time to time. Val, don't assume the shape of your gusset plate is wrong based on looking at mine. I have no idea of what is correct! I often forge ahead without referance photos, that's what I did here. At least concerning the x bracing anyway. I used brass photetched truss type girders by K&S Engineering. The diagonal bracing section comes attached to a solid section by perforations. I assume it is meant to be bent into half of a box girder. I simply cut the solid section off, filed the edge, and glued styrene strip to form a (I think) plausible structural shape. One of these at each end runs the full length from corner to corner, the other is two sections butted up against the first. I made the gussets from thin styrene (10 or 15 thousanths) trimmed to shape and embossed rivits with a ponce wheel. Fact is they're not that great, but I'm improving. They represent my first riveting attempt.

Gary

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Ok Gary,
Enough's enough!
You (& Pete too, I might add) are gonna have to quit passin' these prototype photos off as models! ;) :D

Seriously the scope of what you're doing there, is breathtaking!
It's the same feeling I had when I first saw pictures of George Sellios' Franklin & S. Manchester.
Some of us can only dream of reaching that level of skill & artistry!
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Charlie, Charlie, Charlie, seems you've gone off the deep end! Mentioning Geore Sellios in the same post about my photos. Point taken and thanks. Now, back to reality. One of the great things about the Gauge has been my exposure to some very talented modelers, yourself included. And all of them so willing to help and encourage others. I'm glad to be a part of it. And welcome to all you have come from RRLine, I never was at that forum but look forward to reading and seeing what you are all up to.

Gary