Other hobbies

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
There's other hobbies?
Actually the only other hobby I have is collecting NASCAR die-cast cars in all the scales, and 1/18th classic and new car die-cast cars. I have over 600 Nascar(Tony Stewart 1998 rookie car, 1/24th scale anybody?) and a hundred 1/18th scale.

shaygetz

eightyeightfan1 said:
Tony Stewart 1998 rookie car, 1/24th scale anybody?

No...but I got a 1/24 Madagascar/Home Depot car of his I'm growing weary of. By the time next year rolls around with all its rules changes for Toyota, I just might throw it and any others I have thru a windowwall1 .

I used to do others but made the choice to stick to model railroading as the ol' hobby dollar just ain't there like it was when I was single and storing up treasures down here:thumb:

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I read, draw cartoons inspired by friends, noodle around with the mandolin (bluegrass mostly), roller blade when I'm feeling active, and canoe.
Ralph

Jim Krause

I've got more hobbies than I have time and money. Due to my wife's medical condition, MR'ing is my primary hobby. I have a sailboat sitting on a trailer. A hobby vehicle ( Pontiac Fiero). A desire to go hiking. That should be enough to keep anyone happy.

Shoot, I spend far more money on my bicycles than I do on my trains.. Got a hybrid with skinny tires for use on paved surfaces, a full-suspension mountain bike for rough-terrain use (which demands a full degreasing and re-lube after each trip into the weeds!), and a stationary bike for the winter months.

Typical rides around 30 miles.. During the summer months, I do try to ride as many rails-to-trails routes as I can. :thumb:

railohio

To be honest, model railroading ranks pretty low on my personal hobby list. I'm more interested in the study of the railroad industry, both in writing and photographically, than I am into modeling it. That's why I chose to use my real name here when other forums I lurk on only see me as a handle. The members here are modelers and are genuinely interested in it as a pursuit whereas at other forums most people only seem to model because they can't cut it in the railroad industry.

So after that little soapbox lecture what are my other hobbies?

On top of the list are railroad photography and the study of railroad operations both past and present. I probably have more railroad books than N scale rolling stock (and you all thought Micro-Trains auto racks were spendy!). You've probably all seen my work in CTC Board, Railpace, or TRAINS and not even known it -- and that's more than fine by me!

In addition to my work in the railroad industry I'm also engaged in writing and photography of other subjects. To that end I'm currently majoring in English at a small local college and hope to have my bachelors degree completed in a few more years. I'm also actively pursuing a side career in photography doing portraits and photojournalism as time permits.

My free time pursuits also include anime (library needs updating) and manga (library link forthcoming). Are there any other otaku on here? One thing I've found is the widespread depiction of railroads in Japanese media. Just about every series I've seen shows railroading somehow. This can probably be attributed to the greater integration of public transit in the Japanese culture, but I digress...

Since I'm now rambling I'll just say that my other interests include travel, American history, cooking, and gardening and leave the floor open for the next one to reply...

emt49

this is my other hobby :thumb:

Scan0005_0005.jpg

Well, since you asked, my primary hobby is paranormal investigation:eek: , with model railroading second, and model rocketry third, other than that, when time permits, I go out geocaching.

Cornreaper

I used to do the whole baseball card thing till I got bored of it and sold everything. Right now my secondary hobby would be videography. Hopefully not too far down the road I can turn that into a living, or at least a side business. If I lived in a perfect world, I guess I would be a railroad videographer!

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
This "other hobby" is what is taking up most of my time right now:

Attachments

• model2.jpg
    model2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 176
my first hobby is model trains second is paranormal investigation i go to Gettysburg over the summer with one of old teachers that got me into it.

lionelfan

Other than model railroading, I like to railfan, build model cars/airplanes, collect 1:18 diecast cars primarly from the 1930's to 1960's. Thats all time and finances will allow.

Russ Bellinis

I collect diecast, but only of cars that interest me. I'm not looking at any die cast car as an investment. I also have a 1987 Trans Am that costs a lot more than my model railroading budget, but isn't too bad since I have less than $10,000.00 invested in it. It has a roller cam 350 with tuned port injection and a 5 speed. Nothing is stock on it except most of the body and the interior. It may not handle as well as a Vette, but its capabilities exceed my abilities. I like the fact that my wife and I can take it on a two week trip and get enough luggage into it for the entire trip. It also gets 22-23 mpg on the highway on 87 octane!

wickman

Ah scuba diving when I can get away for it. Ah Trains and ah trains , fishing , ah trains somemore ? Man this is a tuff one sign1

toolman

My other hobby is slotcars not HO, but 1/24 that run on big commerical tracks like Trains and Lanes out in Easton Pa.
I have been doing this 1963 and quite a number of vintage current, like flexis, womps, grp12s, grp20 wing cars, a few scratch builts.
I do not do competive racing, but like to run them.

viperman

My other hobby is baseball cards. Also play a fair amount of computer/video games. Not to mention my 20 month old son

zedob

My other hobby is designing and building a motorized bicycle. I bought a kit off of ebay about a year ago and mounted it on a cruiser bike, but I wasn't totally happy with a few things, like no suspension, an engine I may not be able to get parts for and I just don't like how I have to stand tippy-toed when at a stop, so I decided to design and build my own.

Instead of the really cool looking, but squirrely Chinese engine I decided to go with a strange looking (the carb is mounted to the crankcase opposite of the cylinder ) pocketbike engine, which I can either get parts for, or throw it away and buy a new engine for less than the cost of the parts.

I plan on hacking up my cruiser frame to drop the seat down and to include a swing arm I removed from an old mountain bike and adding a set of springer forks for the front to get full suspension.

That's the latest hobby.:D

hooknlad

Emt49 - I also have an interest in old Dodge trucks. Ive had 4 so far and plan on staying Dodge til i die.
Other than MRR, i work on the yard and various projects around the house. Presently working on a garden railroad with a large pond. Pics to follow .

screen

Catfishing and going to fishing gatherings to eat, camp, eat, tell lies, eat, fish and did I say eat?

Due to my love of camping I am building a teardrop trailer, which is taking all my time and cash right now - I am a member of a forum that will help you build and also provide you with free plans and advise. A teardrop is a small trailer that will sleep two with the galley that opens in the back. Some are pretty simple but most have A/C, TV w/DVD, and loads of acceseries. They can be pulled by a 4cyl. car and may weigh as little as 800lbs. FUN!