other hobbies?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Other hobbies.......
I build ship models:http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=1783

I also do some space/fantasy models:http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=4583

I have my "share" of fire arms ( don't ask, I won't have to shoot ), the replica "walker Colt" is one of the more fun ones.

A little archery, now and then, and some model rocketry. My most recent launch was 60+ inches tall, with about a 20" fin span, and went up on a cluster of 4 "D" engines.

Does partying count as a hobby? :D :D
Pete

PennCentralFan

Jan 18, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Comic books. I read the current titles and I like to collect the older issues from the 60s to the 90s. Mostly DC and Marvel. I'm really into the Infinite Crisis going on in the DC comic universe.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
davidstrains said:
I used to be a HAM many years ago (in the WN and KN era. K3CWB AND K0VEZ). I didn't continue with the hobby after college but wish that I had. I still enjoy listening to CW chat.
I was a HAM too. WB7DBT. Shows how long ago that was. Mostly 2 meters. Code was my downfall. Couldn't consistantly reach the 13 wpm mark.

DOUBLEJK

Jan 25, 2006
Well MRRin' is only my latest addiction....:)
I have been into HO slotcars for quite awhile and collect the old AFX nonmagnetic cars...the ThunderJets mostly but some of the Vibrator series also..
I also am addicted to castin' my own bullets outa old auto wheel wieghts and shootin' em thru my collection of old leverguns... Winchester 92's and Marlin 1894's and Savage 99's...love em all...:thumb:
Regard's
John

richalex2010

Jan 31, 2005
Richmond, Va
Model/high power rocketry (I'm going to certify for high power at the next big launch I can get to--only done up to a G40 so far)
I just started on a Great Planes PT-40 that's going to be converted to electric (it's designed for a .40-.50 sized gas engine--insanely huge, for those of you who don't speak R/C ;) )
I also play Ace Combat 4 and 5, the newer James Bond games (Nightfire, Everything Or Nothing, and From Russia With Love), Conflict: Destert Storm II; Back to Baghdad, and others on occasion. I don't play online often, though...
Oh, and on the PC... I play MS Combat Flight Simulator 2 (WWII over the Pacific), and FS98.

abutt

Jan 11, 2006
NW CT, USA
Jake...Am reminded of my favorite book by Homer Hickam, the Rocket Boys or the movie October Sky. I, too, played with rockets AND RC, mostly soaring. Now I'm too old to play and MRR is keeping me happy.

Allan

sledge57

Jan 1, 2006
Dearborn Hts, Mi
Well to be "completely" honest, model RR is my "other" hobby :D

Most of my time and $$$$$$$$ go into my main hobby,
my 67 Dodge Coronet
third.gif

Bakers1.jpg

Newset-Sig.jpg

oldtanker

Feb 24, 2006
West central Mn
Oh, lets see....home brewing is big, both beer and wine I have green apple, raseberry and blackberry wines aging now, a peach in a carboy, a stout and an ale that I'm drinking now along with a Scotch ale and Wiesen that will be bottled later this week! Fire arms both primitive and modren. Gardening is a big one to with about 1/2 arce going to veggies every year which gives me my reason for another hobby....collecting old Wheel Horse tractors! I currently have 4 rainging from 1962 to 1976 that I use. Model combat warships. These actually fire BBs with the intent of sinking the other guys boat! Music, I'm the sound guy for a heavy metal band (local area only). Photography, fishing (bass is my favorite), hunting (modren, black powder and bow). And the best hobby in the world.....spoiling my grandkids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC BOAT

Feb 27, 2006
Bloomington, MN
I've only been in "N" scale for about 2 years now, in my previous life, ever since I was about 10 years old, I scratchbuilt Radio Control boats. Got tired of hauling several hundred pounds of boats down to the pond 3 nights a week (actually getting too old to do that). 2 years ago I sold off 42 model boats ranging in size from a one foot tug boat, to a 10 foot USS Missouri. Then, staring at 62 feet of empty workbench, I decided it was time to build a railroad. Chose "N" scale becasue I built my sons an n scale layout back in the 70's and had enjoyed doing that.
Biggest challange in going from large model boats to n scale was in getting used to the demensions. It took me a while to get the hang of it, and get things to look right. Last year I made my first attempt at scratchbuilding and n scale rr car, it was a model of a pile driving car built in 1901. It took first prize in a small sctrach building contest. I am now in the process of building some old flat cars and ore cars from the same period, and of course just working on the layout and scenery as time allows.
As spring approaches I will be taking time away from this hobby to devote to bicycling, I like to get in 150 to 200 miles per week when the weather is good.
George