OT: Middle Age Attacks!

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
I went to the doctor's this morning for a check up.
I'm now on medication for high blood pressure.

I could probably go off of it if I:
Quit smoking
Drop about 100 pounds
Give up Mt. Dew. :(

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com

Quit smoking

20 years ago January---from 2 1/2 packs a day to none overnight:thumb: It can be done.

Drop about 100 pounds

Started a diet yesterday...well...actually...two...one didn't give me enough to eat:eek:ops:

Give up Mt. Dew.

Now givin' up Sprite would hurt me...:wave:

You can do it, and we're ornery enough to help:thumb: :D

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I bet you can do it too, and I write as someone well into middle-age (47). I don't want to make you feel guilty or be harsh, but the health benefits of losing weight are awesome.

About 10 years ago, I lost 30-40 pounds and I've been physically active for much longer. I used Weight Watchers and that program really worked for me. The benefits really do pay off. Also, my best friend lost close to 100 pounds totally on his own and my brother-in-law did too. My brother-in-law probably lost well over 100 pounds and feels and looks much better.

When it comes to illnesses, I'm VERY squeamish, so that motivates me to keep fit. Also, both my parents died due to strokes and cancer, so that motivates me to be fit and healthy as well.

Believe it or not, I actually get stiff from creating scenery on my layout!!! All that stretching, kneeling and bending is a bit of a workout!

Take care and I hope all goes well.

Rob

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
shaygetz said:

Quit smoking

20 years ago January---from 2 1/2 packs a day to none overnight:thumb: It can be done.
WOW!!!, Bob, what an inspiration you are:thumb:. Cripes, I'm 41 and have been smoking 2 packs a day since...i am to embarrassed to mention when i started:eek:ops:. VERY GOOD BOB!:thumb: Cannonball, i admire you for going to the doctor:thumb:, the last time i went to the doctor was for my 9th grade physical:eek:ops:, (now I'm to scarred to go:eek:ops:.) :D -Deano

pooka2hot4u

May 30, 2006
another piece of advice. try switching over to diet MT. Dew for now to perhaps give a bit of a smoother transition off of it.

and if you want to loose weight, maybe you can put away all those power tools and try building your layout the oldschool way....handsaws and hammers. after pushing and pulling a saw back and forth or swinging a hammer around it will give you a bit of muscule (muscule is actually heavier than fat but alot healthier for you)

pooka2hot4u

May 30, 2006
and i thought the whole 2 or 3 packs a day sayings were exagerations. i smoke but most i can go is half a pack, not because i limit myself or anything. im just phisically not able to do anymore i will get really sick from it (stomach aches and very, very, very short temper) but i quit now. i guess quitting from half a pack a day is alot easier than 2 or 3 a day. i just finished my last one and decided not to buy anymore, had to save up cash for my trains.

and weird as it may sound i actually started smoking when i was 7and then quit when i was like 8, then started again at 15 and quit at just a couple months ago, im 17 now

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Thanks for the support guys. Right now I need all the encouragement I can get.
To help with the smoking, the doctor also put me on Welbutrin which is an anti-depressant that carries the added side benifit of reducing the urge to smoke. The anti-depressant probably wouldn't hurt me any either. I actually quit for 6 months about a year and a half ago. Then we hit a rough patch where every major thing seemed to go wrong at once and I started up again about a year ago.

Pooka- I've tried Diet Dew and can't stand the stuff. About the only diet pop I can tollerate is Diet Dr. Pepper. I might switch to that. it's not the same but it's something.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
pooka2hot4u said:
and i thought the whole 2 or 3 packs a day sayings were exagerations. i smoke but most i can go is half a pack, not because i limit myself or anything. im just phisically not able to do anymore i will get really sick from it (stomach aches and very, very, very short temper) but i quit now. i guess quitting from half a pack a day is alot easier than 2 or 3 a day. i just finished my last one and decided not to buy anymore, had to save up cash for my trains.

and weird as it may sound i actually started smoking when i was 7and then quit when i was like 8, then started again at 15 and quit at just a couple months ago, im 17 now
Dude.... being as young as you are, it's no wonder you get sick from more than half a pack a day! :eek:

How the H*** did you start smoking at seven???

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I don't know what your tax structure is in Missouri but here in Montana the taxes bring a carton of Camel cigarettes up to about 48 dollars. If I smoked, that would be enough to get me to quit. Look at it this way. How much more can you spend on trains if you quit smoking? On a serious note, I have a wife who is bedridden, with congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and diabetes. Not a great way to spend your golden years. All of her doctors tried to get her to lose weight and get on an exercise program.

pooka2hot4u

May 30, 2006
actually i know some ppl in my school that smoke like 2 but i have a bit of asthma so im guessing thats why. but thats all over now

well that was back in russia, ppl dont care there. i been there just this summer and you can walk into any store and buy cigarettes and alcohol, no IDs no questions asked. there are 14 year olds just walking down the street drinking beers there, police dont care, its just considered normal there. so i dont see it as anything weird i guess. in fact im really confused as to why you can own assault rifles and drive trucks and trains in this country at 18 yet you gota be 21 to buy beer.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Jim Krause said:
I don't know what your tax structure is in Missouri but here in Montana the taxes bring a carton of Camel cigarettes up to about 48 dollars. If I smoked, that would be enough to get me to quit. Look at it this way. How much more can you spend on trains if you quit smoking? On a serious note, I have a wife who is bedridden, with congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and diabetes. Not a great way to spend your golden years. All of her doctors tried to get her to lose weight and exercise.
A carton here is about $25-$33 for Camels depending on where you shop.
Higher for Marlboros. I figure we go through about 7 cartons a month, so that's and average of $27.50 (give or take) times 7= $192.50 a month.
That would buy some nice train stuff.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
pooka2hot4u said:
in fact im really confused as to why you can own assault rifles and drive trucks and trains in this country at 18 yet you gota be 21 to buy beer.
Actually, you can't own an assult rifle until you're 21 either.
Not unless you're in the military anyway.
You can have shotguns when you're 18 though.

And you're not the first to ponder that question. :D

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
I think a pack is around 7 bucks here in Pa but since I don’t smoke I’m not sure. Sorry to hear about the blood pressure but I would trade the asthma for it. Body is in great shape but the airway sucks, go figure.

Ok I’m 48 and every morning for at least the past twenty my breakfast has been four candy bars and a bottle of Diet Dr. Pepper. I love those Zero bars.

BTW the next thing to start going is the eyesight then the hearing.

I wish the best for you

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Renovo PPR said:
BTW the next thing to start going is the eyesight then the hearing.
I thought the first three things to go were your memory &.... awww heck, I can't remember the other two.
Cannonball,
You and I are pretty much the same age (your older by 3 months). I've been wanting to lose some weight for quite some time. I'm only over by about 30 pounds but I have two wonderful little boys and a wonderful wife that I need to stick around and take care of for a long time. You have inspired me to renew my efforts and go to the gym more often.
RobertinOntario,
Weight Watchers huh? I've been toying with the idea of going with the mens program but can't seem to get past the cost thinking it's probably something I can do myself and why do I need to spend all that money on their help? Don't answer that.

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Pooka: Its all about common sense and responsibility, whether we are talking about alcohol or firearms. Here in Montana, kids start hunting at the age of 10 or 12. The state requires classroom and practical lessons before anyone can get a hunting license. As for Russia, I assume that's why you are in the US. I worked in Turkmenistan a few years ago and observed the young kids drinking beer on the street. That doesn't mean its desirable, anymore than its desirable to be into drugs.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
Well to own a so called assault weapon which would be a fully automated waepon you do have to be over 21. Then there is the case of expensive license and fees plus tracking by the BATF. In any event it is not common in the United States. I just wanted to point out the difference no matter what your thoughts are about the issue.

The legal age for drinking does differ from Europe and I for one am very happy about that. If anything I am confused why they limit everything in the world except the drinking age. I really can't speak about the driving age because when I lived for a few summers in Cleto, Italy anyone and everyone who could see out the car window drove. The fun part was drinking warm beer all day above the town in the old castle.

Hey is there an age limit in the states to become an engineer?

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Every year when the Minister of Finance comes on TV to give the annual budget figures for the country they always put up "Sin-tax" (Beer, cigaretts) so that the little dudes don't have enough money to buy the stuff- I personally don't drink or smoke - I like investing my money on my trains and lovely lady! :thumb:

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Wow - I never smoked and can't imagine the amount of will power to quit the things, but me (and I bet a bunch of others here) will help you to kick the habit. Think of it as a challange...if it is permissible on this forum, keep us up to date on how many days you've not had a cigarette and we'll root for you along the way.

As far as the weight issue...heck, who doesn't need to lose 20 or more pounds! I know that unless I change my habits, the weight stays on...so I'm trying to change the bad and add some of the good where ever possible. First off my list was a steady stream of Starbucks Mocha Frappicinios...way too much sugar...packs on the weight pretty quick not to mention how expensive they are. And I'm sure I was drinking my way to diabetes. Take one thing at a time and change it...stop the Mt Dews, then when that's conqured, go to something else. Mentally keep track of all the times you'd pay for a Dew and when you get to a certain dollar figure - go buy a train item! Positive reward for a worth while endeavor. I kept a tally of all the times I'd really wanted a Frapp then at a certain dollar figure - I'd buy a train car. Each time I see that car, it reminds me of what I can do when I put my mind to it. And I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer so if I can do it - anyone can. Changing a habit is hard but (from what I've read) it takes about three weeks to completely alter your habit pattern - like eating, or not exercising, or some other daily routine - so mark a date three weeks from now on the calander, pick something to change, and give it a shot.

You can do it! Really - you can!

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
I just turned 40 and my blood pressure's been borderline for a while. I gave up the health club for a year while my wife took time off to finish her Masters degree and packed on a few pounds. Combine that with an underactive thyroid, and my weight, blood pressure, and cholesterol went up. I've been back at the health club working out about 5 days a week doing 30 minutes on the elliptical trainer and another 20-30 on the weights. So far I've lost 14 pounds, and my Blood pressure is down at least into the normal range. Not much I can do about the thyroid except take meds. I've gotten my cholesterol down a bit, but the doctor gave me 6 months to see if I can get it down further otherwise I've agreed to start the meds. Luckily, I've never smoked.

When I turned 30 I found a great radio station....turned out to be the classic rock station.

When I turned 40 I started popping my first pills.

What's 50 going to bring?