OT- - - B-52

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by silverw, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The real B-52 crash........... was pilot error and I also remember that he had a problem with trying stuff out-side the flight envelope of the plane..........

The model crash............ well that happens sometime with RC planes....... it's the chance that they take........... this time he probably wishes he didn't take it. No matter......... is WAS a very good model and I hated to see it make a hole in the ground........... but $#!^ happens........... buck up and build another one.......... just learn from the crash when to fly and when to NOT!
  2. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The real B-52 crash........... was pilot error and I also remember that he had a problem with trying stuff out-side the flight envelope of the plane..........

The model crash............ well that happens sometime with RC planes....... it's the chance that they take........... this time he probably wishes he didn't take it. No matter......... is WAS a very good model and I hated to see it make a hole in the ground........... but $#!^ happens........... buck up and build another one.......... just learn from the crash when to fly and when to NOT!
  3. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

With the speculation of why these aircraft crashed I thought it might interest some what the official cause was, at least with the full sized aircraft.

And when you compare the video of the two crashes, the aircraft attitudes are virtually identical, and coupled with the fact that the "miniture" B-52 builders used spoilers rather than innacurate ailerons for roll control, it's very reasonable to conclude that the small one crashed for the same reason: the pilot rolled the aircraft beyond a recoverable attitude.

The weather most likely had little if anything to do the crash. The microphone on the camera makes it sound far more windy, and from the point of view of someone who flies R/C airplanes, the conditions look quite fine.

You can argue that "this" may have had an effect or "that" might have had an effect, but there is no end to that kind of argument. Maybe the wind, maybe an engine went out (althought, if you know what to look for, it's easy to identify that an engine was running at impact), maybe his attention was drawn away by a cute girl walking by? Why speculate beyond a reasonable cause (especially with self admission that you don't know)?

It appears that this flight was being conducted at some kind of event or airshow. I don't know how they handle events in Great Briton, but I'm sure with the liability of having crowds present and with a three hundred pound(!) airplane there, if there were a question to the wind do you believe event officials would allow it to take off? I have to say that I think it's a bit rude to make comments suggesting that the pilot was asking for it or deserved to crash.
  4. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

With the speculation of why these aircraft crashed I thought it might interest some what the official cause was, at least with the full sized aircraft.

And when you compare the video of the two crashes, the aircraft attitudes are virtually identical, and coupled with the fact that the "miniture" B-52 builders used spoilers rather than innacurate ailerons for roll control, it's very reasonable to conclude that the small one crashed for the same reason: the pilot rolled the aircraft beyond a recoverable attitude.

The weather most likely had little if anything to do the crash. The microphone on the camera makes it sound far more windy, and from the point of view of someone who flies R/C airplanes, the conditions look quite fine.

You can argue that "this" may have had an effect or "that" might have had an effect, but there is no end to that kind of argument. Maybe the wind, maybe an engine went out (althought, if you know what to look for, it's easy to identify that an engine was running at impact), maybe his attention was drawn away by a cute girl walking by? Why speculate beyond a reasonable cause (especially with self admission that you don't know)?

It appears that this flight was being conducted at some kind of event or airshow. I don't know how they handle events in Great Briton, but I'm sure with the liability of having crowds present and with a three hundred pound(!) airplane there, if there were a question to the wind do you believe event officials would allow it to take off? I have to say that I think it's a bit rude to make comments suggesting that the pilot was asking for it or deserved to crash.
  5. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The B-52 crash occurred during practice for an up coming airshow at Fairchild AFB. The crash totally pilot error as reported by the Air Force Accident Investigation board. I read the released report and may still have it somewhere around here. The pilot had been previously warned about "hotdogging" in the BUFF. They had the wrong person behind wheel in that bird on that day.

As the aircraft began its death dive, the co-pilot ejected which can be seen just moments before the wing impacts. Unfortunately, he struck the vertical stabilizer and was killed.

When I was stationed at USAF Survival School at Fairchild, from my office I had a great view of the flightline. I would watch the BUFFs do touch and gos go into some very tight turns as the swung around for another pass. It would amaze me the aircraft handled so well for as large as it is. When I was stationed at Kincheloe AFB a decade earlier, the B-52s there flew strictly by the SAC book and when shooting touch and gos, would take a long slow turn and go out of site before lining up again for their next shot.

But the bottom line of the Fairchild crash is pilot error. He put the aircraft into an impossible to recover from turn and paid the highest price for his error.
  6. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

The B-52 crash occurred during practice for an up coming airshow at Fairchild AFB. The crash totally pilot error as reported by the Air Force Accident Investigation board. I read the released report and may still have it somewhere around here. The pilot had been previously warned about "hotdogging" in the BUFF. They had the wrong person behind wheel in that bird on that day.

As the aircraft began its death dive, the co-pilot ejected which can be seen just moments before the wing impacts. Unfortunately, he struck the vertical stabilizer and was killed.

When I was stationed at USAF Survival School at Fairchild, from my office I had a great view of the flightline. I would watch the BUFFs do touch and gos go into some very tight turns as the swung around for another pass. It would amaze me the aircraft handled so well for as large as it is. When I was stationed at Kincheloe AFB a decade earlier, the B-52s there flew strictly by the SAC book and when shooting touch and gos, would take a long slow turn and go out of site before lining up again for their next shot.

But the bottom line of the Fairchild crash is pilot error. He put the aircraft into an impossible to recover from turn and paid the highest price for his error.
  7. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

The sad part is that he took three others with him, and with at least one of the crewmember's family watching as it went down. I think they have been paying a far higher price.

But my point was that the model B-52 likely crashed for exactly the same reason.
  8. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

The sad part is that he took three others with him, and with at least one of the crewmember's family watching as it went down. I think they have been paying a far higher price.

But my point was that the model B-52 likely crashed for exactly the same reason.