OT- - - B-52

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by silverw, Sep 9, 2004.

1. silverw

silverw Member

2. mark_h

mark_h Member

i see this movie yesterday i realy dont thinks thet the air force sout it down its looks like for sure as losing control
  3. silverw

silverw Member

I don't know Mark. I heard that the Lilliputian government has already claimed responsibility, and has threatened that any 1:250 scale ship that comes within 200 scale miles of their territorial waters could suffer the same fate.
  4. mark_h

mark_h Member

i realy dont know i dont thinks thet some one bild a full airport in suting eria BTW its realy looks like a stoling of the left wing

i thinks thet this ppl just wont to bilam some one als axept ther self abowt the crasing of the expensiv,butifall model
  5. mark_h

mark_h Member

sorry for my bed english
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

The "Shot down?" photo looks like some clever use of PhotoShop or PaintShopPro or some other image editing program. Although I would not rule out the Lilliputian anti-air forces. :p

The model itself looked really good. Those small turbine engines are some nice looking hardware. :)
  7. Square

Square Member

So has anyone here seen the price of those little engines? WOW that R/C plane cost more than most exotic cars do. could have bought a real plane to fly in.
  8. Maurice

Maurice Member

I have no sympathy for them.
    The cloud patterns in the film and the initial part of the flight clearly show significant turbulence crossing the flying site at the time and they should have waited for that to pass before launching or just cancelled. Good airmanship requires that you do not fly small aircraft in such conditons.
    As it was they simply hit an updraught or downdraught (or both) whilst in a turn stalling the inside wing and entering a spin without the height to recover.

The spin didn't stand a chance either. There wasn't enough height for it to develop fully. :lol:

Cheers
    Maurice
  9. Square

Square Member

Hey maurice yes I watched it real close to .... they hit a down draft on the left side thats why it went into the stall dive and your right no recovery time.
    seems though their spirit wasnt to bad they did a PSP7 edit for fun :)
  10. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

actually glad to hear its most likely not sabotage. however, on the very low res video of the crash is looks like a big puff of black smoke comes out of left wing prior to the nose dive, I believe at around the 23rd second timestamp. I was wondering if there was an onboard failure rather than atmoshperic conditions.
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Could have been any number of things. Engine problems, birdstrike, radio interference, structural or control failure, you name it. No doubt the wreckage was searched for clues. The vid isn't high enough resolution to see this sort of detail. I've got a vid file somewhere of a real B52 doing the same thing, over and into an airbase. I'll look it out.....

Tim P
  12. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

wunwinglow -- I think that video you have of the BUFF crashing was one which happened at Fairchild AFB. It occured in June 1994 during pratice for an air show. The aircraft was in a tight turn and lost lift causing it to stall and impact in the ground near the weapons storage area of the base. One of the crewmembers ejected, but unfortunately was killed when he hit the vertical stabilizer. It was an unfortunate accident, but definitely pilot error. Several videos of the crash were shot and one of them can be found at http://images.military.com/Shock/0,,SA_B52Crash_081004,00.html . I remember reading something about this accident a couple of years after it happened. It was written by a member of the Air Force who wrote for a reason I can not recall. But in it, he was highly critical of the pilot, and the commander of the base at the time. It was an interesting read. However, I am unable to locate it on the net.
  13. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Ash, yes, that was it. Impressive site, by the way. I was at Fairford when the two MiG29s collided, (Flying too tight) I missed the contact but everyone around me gasped, I turned aorund the see, well, look at the video!

Tim P
  14. Maurice

Maurice Member

Tim
    My point was that it should not even have been airborne at the time.
    In aviation, rules are for the guidance of fools and the obedience of wise men.

Cheers
    Maurice
  15. 57townsman

57townsman Member

When I try to access the video file it tells me it is a member's only site. :(

Steve
  16. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Steve...do a google search on 1994 Fairchild B-52 crash and you will come up with several sites with the video. Don't know which will work for you.
  17. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I know this is an old thread, but just a little more info-

A note regarding this awful video, provided by a former B-52 pilot: "The B-52 in a steep turn at low airspeed loses roll control, resulting in a natural over-banking tendency. The small rudder authority is unable keep the nose from dropping, nor can it pick up the lower wing. B-52s do not have conventional ailerons, but spoilers on the upper wing surface. . .

The pilot in the Fairchild accident exceeded the flight envelope for the B-52 (and he had an extensive history of such actions, many people considered him an accident waiting to happen), and the crash of the minature B-52 was likely the same cause. They did an awsome job recreating the B-52 right down to it's control systems and consequential flight envelope.
  18. Mechanic

Mechanic Member

I know this is an old thread, but just a little more info-

A note regarding this awful video, provided by a former B-52 pilot: "The B-52 in a steep turn at low airspeed loses roll control, resulting in a natural over-banking tendency. The small rudder authority is unable keep the nose from dropping, nor can it pick up the lower wing. B-52s do not have conventional ailerons, but spoilers on the upper wing surface. . .

The pilot in the Fairchild accident exceeded the flight envelope for the B-52 (and he had an extensive history of such actions, many people considered him an accident waiting to happen), and the crash of the minature B-52 was likely the same cause. They did an awsome job recreating the B-52 right down to it's control systems and consequential flight envelope.
  19. hpept

hpept Member

Completely agree with Maurice. The pilot looked for it. It was evident to everyone that lots of wind gusts were hitting the ground before the flight. During takeoff the aircraft almost rolled under the effect of a side gust (at that time it was still possible to abort the takeoff).
    About the technical reason of the crash (apart being a bad weather day) it could be really everything, but i tend to believe that it could be either a failure (left wing engine shutting down, thats why it turned left and with tail wind a recover with vertical stabilizer was not effective) or a pilot error (he tried to turn away from the airfield when it was coasting it after half a turn instead of going on to continue a complete loop over the runway) which was too confident to complete the manoeuvre in such prohibitive conditions.
    This is my opinion based on the (very) little knowledge i have of aircraft dynamics.
  20. hpept

hpept Member

Completely agree with Maurice. The pilot looked for it. It was evident to everyone that lots of wind gusts were hitting the ground before the flight. During takeoff the aircraft almost rolled under the effect of a side gust (at that time it was still possible to abort the takeoff).
    About the technical reason of the crash (apart being a bad weather day) it could be really everything, but i tend to believe that it could be either a failure (left wing engine shutting down, thats why it turned left and with tail wind a recover with vertical stabilizer was not effective) or a pilot error (he tried to turn away from the airfield when it was coasting it after half a turn instead of going on to continue a complete loop over the runway) which was too confident to complete the manoeuvre in such prohibitive conditions.
    This is my opinion based on the (very) little knowledge i have of aircraft dynamics.