ORLIK BRDM-2 Build Report

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Roll-Outski !

This model is basically finished now. Here are some preliminary pix of the result of the build. I'll update them shortly.

My overall impressions of this ORLIK kit :
a) The model is a VERY nice representation of an uncommon subject in an unusual scale (1:35) for card armour. However, IT IS NOT A KIT FOR RAW BEGINNERS!!
b. The finished model scales well against my reference material and immediately recalls the prototype. That is good enough for me.
c) the design, printing, and fit were fine, IMHO. Sure, there were some fit problems, but nothing that the application of a bit of modelling savvy and some "gourd work" couldn't put right.
d) Would I buy/build this again? ABSOLUTELY!! Several versions of the prototype BRDM can easily be built using this kit and some good reference as a basis. (basic Soviet version, ATGM and SAM platforms, etc). I plan to buy a few more of these kits ASAP, before they disappear!

I am one of those model builders that has to be able to incorporate at least one figure into every model. In my opinion, the figures give the model "life".
That is why I do all of my card armor modeling in 1:35, as figures are widely available. In a sense, I build my models for the persons that would actually be using them in real life.

Guys at Orlik or friends thereof: Thanks for a great model! Please do more modern armor/AFVs and please also think of doing more in 1:35 scale, OK?

Thanks for your interest!

Jim

Some photos follow:

(Yeah: the usual suspects are in attendance...!)

Attachments

• BRDM2 Top Viiew.jpg
    BRDM2 Top Viiew.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 22
  • BRDM 2 Right Side a.jpg
    BRDM 2 Right Side a.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 23
  • BRDM 2 TP Boyz 2.jpg
    BRDM 2 TP Boyz 2.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 30

lriera

Aug 28, 2007
Barcelona - Spain
Hello. I specially like the last picture. You have find the way to create "drama". Is as if everybody at the group are looking for "something".
Great job.

The Usual Suspects

Hi Lluis! Mucho gusto conocerte!

Thanks for the kind words. You are doing a great job with your model as well!

You have just met the "Tractor Plant Boyz" , a small group of even smaller Warsaw Pact vehicle enthusiasts that show up in my builds from time to time. They don't eat much, so I put up with them!! :)

Jim

Hi Johnny! Thanks for the kind words! It is always a plus to hear positive words from one of the true masters of card modelling. This you certainly are, and a friend as well!!

I just checked out your new website! It is great!!

I'm going to drop you a personal note shortly.

The little ORLIK BRDM2 kit may soon disappear, I think. However, the ORLIK gang may have some new vehicles up their sleeve...and I plan to be waiting on their doorstep!

Jim

Dragos

Jun 8, 2006
Romania
I have a special consideration for Orlik because they have the only IAR-80 in 1:33

BTW it will be soon a building thread with this model.

lriera

Aug 28, 2007
Barcelona - Spain
Hi fishcarver, thank for your comments on my build. I am going to finish it this weekend. And after that I am going to build the Willys Jeep also from Modelik.

Status
Not open for further replies.