Ordnance QF 25 Pounder Field Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliec

Good choice of subject - there isn't (afaik) a large scale 25PDR around.

If you need images - just ask - there's a 25PDR outside an RSL (Returned Services League) club a few km from my place. I think it's an Australian made one with a muzzle break.

1/16 seems to be a good scale for guns - the Drafmodel guns and Patero's ZIS-3 are al 1/16.

Regards,

Charlie

crimson

Thanks for the offer Charlie, I may take you up on that. I think I have reference shots of just about everything (plenty of reference material on the interweb) but no doubt there will be something I've missed.

The gun on its carriage is 18' 2" (5.53m) from muzzle break to the tip of the handspike, so 1:16 will make it 13.6" (346mm), plenty big enough. I just need to check I can fit the larger parts on a single sheet of A4.

Stev0

big.jpg

crimson

Thanks Stev0. I saw that one and it is an excellent model, especially the textures:eek:, but there’s something not quite right about it. Either the shield is too small or the wheelbase is too wide? After staring at so many pictures of this thing you sort of get an eye for what’s right or wrong. There’s also a 3d model for Traction wars (crysis wars mod), a freebie on google 3D warehouse(not very accurate) and a model for sale on Turbosquid.

I have tried ripping models from computer games before, but without much success. I tried the APC from halfLife2. It ripped across fine, but then trying to convert that model to something you could build in paper was a nightmare. The design was a series of intersecting blocks and planes. These do not need to be connected or supported in a computer model and in the real world you can’t just ‘slide’ one shape through another. After about a week of messing around with it, I gave up and decided I would have to build it from scratchwall1, (which I never got around to) but at least I have the 3d model as reference.

On the plus side, these models do provide a good reference for how to break the model down and which details to add as parts and which to add as textures.

Stev0

I thought posting a picture of convincing digital model of the 25lb'er would help you see convincing details that are simple in nature.

Yes, game models are quite difficult to make into card models.

crimson

Added some detail, mostly around the shield and started trying to make some texures. I think the rivets look ok, but the 'dirtying' needs a lot more work.

crimson

I managed to put a bit more time in on this one. I've added the muzzle break; wheel hubs and a few other details.

There's still plenty of little bits to add:The sight; the scoop-bucket; the firing mechanism on the breech; a strut on the chasis under the breech and a dozen other minor greeblies. I will probably just incorporate some of these into the textures, but I want to try building them first.
Anyway, this is where I am at the moment:

Status
Not open for further replies.