Opinions on a Gaswagen model?

RocketmanTan

Back in January, I had planned to release a model of a Gaswagen that would more or less coincide with the 60th anniversary of the Wannsee conference. My intent was not to hide the reality of the holocaust under a pile of flowers and tears, but to educate folk on the actual horror and hatred of that terrible period in history.

A good friend of mine eventually convinced me to not go through with the project, as he thought it was "tasteless", to put it bluntly. The svg file for the model has since been gathering dust in my inkscape folder.

I'd like to clarify that my kits are in no way shape or form meant to be toys, unlike the My Little Pony stuff I do. I obviously don't intend for this gaswagen to be printed and played with like some demented plaything - certainly not. It's just...a model, nothing more. Nonetheless, this kit will obviously strike quite a few chords with people, which is why I now pose the question:

Would you be okay with a model of a concentration camp Gas Van, or something similar?

Z

Zathros

Wow, I am suffering from the worst case of deja-vu! As I wrote over there, so will I write here.

Paper-Replika had a "model" which depicted a woman's head sticking out of the ground, and it had an apparatus, where you would take paper, and crumple it up really small. These would be stones you launched with it's finger catapult. It started out by being a protest about women being stoned to death over things ... well, put it like this, I don't see too many instances where burying a person up to there neck and stoning them serves any person.

The link to the site turned up at a site where people were "promoting it" as something fun to do. Jules took it out of the website.

I think that your truck would end up in the hands of people who would like to see things like this return.

You do such good work, how about just doing the truck?

RocketmanTan

Wow, I am suffering from the worst case of deja-vu! As I wrote over there, so will I write here.

Paper-Replika had a "model" which depicted a woman's head sticking out of the ground, and it had an apparatus, where you would take paper, and crumple it up really small. These would be stones you launched with it's finger catapult. It started out by being a protest about women being stoned to death over things ... well, put it like this, I don't see too many instances where burying a person up to there neck and stoning them serves any person.

The link to the site turned up at a site where people were "promoting it" as something fun to do. Jules took it out of the website.

I think that your truck would end up in the hands of people who would like to see things like this return.

You do such good work, how about just doing the truck?

Heh, just read your reply on the other forum! Figured I'd reply here. You make an interesting point; as long as it's done tastefully and in the best of intentions, it won't be that bad.

The only problem now, however, would be trying to smooth this over with my friend, since this would pretty much constitute me going against his wishes. I won't trouble you guys with my personal matters, though :rolleyes: