Opinions of Model Power 4-6-2

CNJ

Nov 29, 2003
Western VA
Visit site
I am thinking of buying a Model Power Pacific, and am wondering if the quality and design issues have been resolved. I realize that this topic was probably beaten to death on the Atlas forum, but I was out to lunch at the time. I would also like to know how DCC friendly this beast is.
TIA
Len

Wyomingite

Mar 16, 2002
Wyoming USA
Visit site
Hi Len,

Yes there was a lot of discussion on the Atlas forum about this engine. I bought two and neither one ran very well. Pulling power was a big issue as it has none. If you have any grades I would surely stay away from this engine as five or six cars on level grade was about all it would pull without spinning the wheels. I sent them both back as they just were not acceptable.

Ron:(

pnolan48

Jun 28, 2004
Model Power, to their credit, did fix many of the problems of the first run. Two factors against DCC, however: it still uses a 3-pole motor, which is reputed to be not so great with DCC (I haven't tried it yet myself), and the engine is reputed be fiendishly difficult to take apart and put back together. Again, I haven't tried it. But modelers I trust have.

Pete

CNJ

Nov 29, 2003
Western VA
Visit site
Thanks Ron and Pete
I guess that settles that. Two good reason to stay away from the thing. The big surprise is the lack of tractive force. One would think that an all metal loco would have more than enough weight over the drivers. I understand that the Kato mike has caused some folks to tear their hair out with the DCC install. At least with the Kato, there is a good set of instructions out there for the take apart.
I appreciate the advice. My LHS still has a Bachmann Consolidation, which should satisfy the need for more steam.

Len