Operational Link and Pin Coupling

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
One of the keynotes of the 1870's was link and pin couplers. I have a web article detailing my attempt to make an operating link and pin coupler system for my OO scale 1870's layout at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/1879/cars/couplers/

cars_with_link.jpg

Thank you if you visit
Harold

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I have one or two cars equipped with commercial HO link and pins. I'm afraid I may have misplaced the links and pins over the years (at least 30 or 40 years old).
I also made substitutes out of Kadee couplings with broken knuckles -- remove the knuckle pivot.

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
There is nothing available in the smaller scales. I will make a better looking body, the picture is the experimental mockup. They can be made quickly out of styrene.

Harold

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Watch your fingers there Harold!!!! Improved couplers are a definite advantage to later themed layouts...as your thumbless little plastic folk might agree. Seriously, a neat idea and a nice additional bit of realism!
Ralph

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
The LPF's are already talking about striking. Something silly like safety and their welfare.
Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Here is the the link with clear tape and a finalized drawbar:

links_beta.JPG

An article will follow.

Have a nice day
Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Here is a better picture of the drawbars. I can carve one out of ABS in 15 minutes.

drawbar.JPG

Harold

shortliner

Dec 23, 2004
Harold - a suggestion - same shape pin, but with a loop on top - that way, rather than tweezers, you could have a wire hook on a handle and just lift it in and out
o_
| |
|

Not sure if that bit of ascii art will work
Shortliner(Jack) away up here in the Highlands

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
Tried the loop on the pin at the end and middle. Anything hard is difficult to grasp with tweezers. Also tried the wire hook and it is uncontrollable when inserting the link. The tape is the best solution so far. The clear is fairly unobtrusive. Also there are less operations in making the pin with the tape.

Thanks
Harold

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
There are HO scale link & pin couplers available from Walthers

Thank you for the link. I have attempted to use the prototypical link and pin. I am designing a system that looks like link and pins but is operational. Yard switching cannot be done in the model world with three piece links and pins. Regular operations with them is beyond frustrating. My system is not prototypical but allows operation with the appearance of link and pins. My future layout is planned for prototypical operations and large train movements.

When the cars are uncoupled they look like 1870's cars. They couple close together and the fake link is unobtursive enought for an operational 1870's layout.

Harold

Ahhhh...gotcha. I'm dealing with coupler issues myself. I can't STAND the trip pin on the knuckle couplers and have done what some others have tried: CUT 'EM OFF!! Uncoupling is done with a long dowel fitted with a bend piece of wire attached to the end. The wire is placed between the cars and is used to pull one of the knuckles away to accomplish the uncoupling. The cars look better with the Kadee 'scale' coupler, no trip pin, and an air hose in place. Hang in there, Harold, I admire your tenacity!

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Well I'd say the clear tape was successful. I didn't even notice it till you talked about it.

hudsonelectric, have you looked into the new Sergent HO coupler? No trip pin like Kadee and a small magnet on the end of a stick is used to open the couplers.

http://user.icx.net/~sergent/

Take a look. I'm leaning towards using them on my S scale equipment.

Greg

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Russ,

No personal experiance with them yet. I'm ordering a couple pairs of them to see how they work on my engines and a couple of box cars. May get them in the next week or so. I'll keep you posted.

Greg

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
have you ever thought about using hemostats with locking jaws

Yes, Thank you
The tape has been the best method. It is only as obtrusive as KD gladhands. Hemostats and locking tweezers proved difficult to control.

Harold