Operating sessions

L

lester perry

Way back in December of last year I asked about starting operating sessions. How to get people involved and how to train in operations on my RR. Well I finally did it!! It was great, had 3 guys running, with me tutoring about operating system I have. One of the guys has operated on several other layouts and said my system was the easiest to understand that he had worked with. There were no crashes and only 2 minor problems, a wire broke feeding a lift out and a relay went bad. All in all very enjoyable. Ran for 3 hours and everyone wants to do it again. Could keep 2 more busy maybe 3. Its a blast. :thumb:
Les

zedob

I don't know if he ever posted one, but you are right, I'd love to see one too. If he is like me he probably drew it up halfway, then built a layout that vaguely resembles the original plan.

L

lester perry

OK I will try to get a track plan out to you. Also the original was almost exactly as planned. It took me 2 years to decide on original plan. After building it I didn't like some things so back to the drawing board. made some changes as per new plans and I love it. I used to have 2 helix's. They were almost 36 inch radius. That works out to about 10 feet around. they made 4 trips around to get from one level to other. They worked great but that was to long without seeing train. NERVES. Now it is basically one level with a short line making another level and 2 hidden yards beneath the main part ans a district track coming off the hidden yard. The main yard on the layout has 15 tracks and 2 lead tracks. Here is a control panel for the yard give an Idea of yard track plan.
000_0052.jpg

Give me time for drawing
Les

L

lester perry

Plans / drawings

Here are some drawings I made up today. They are not true to scale but very close.

upper_0001.jpg

This is the lower level. the wall where the yard and piggy back terminal is, is about 25 feet the wall to the right of coal mine is about 5 feet and the left of it is about 13 feet. Lower left of drawing is power plant that receives loaded coal cars and the mine on lower right receives empties, I assume you see how it works.

lower-1.jpg

This is the upper level J&M short line. it has very steep grades and goes high enough for me to walk under without ducking.
1 Saw mill
2 Coal mine
3 Timber cutting
4 Oil well
And all the way out to right on bottom is a small town with no name right now.
Les