Ooops!...glue in the turnout!!!

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
I accidentally squeezed too hard on a tube of CA and it shot out into the throw bar of an Atlas code 100 turnout:( :eek: .....
I immediately put some de-bonder into the problem area and that loosened it up somewhat, but not nearly enough. The turnout is now residing in a sink full of soapy water but I'm not optimistic:mad: .

Any ideas?

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Did your CA eat into the plastic, or is it on the surface? You might be able just to scrape it off with an x-acto blade.
If it got between the throwbar and the ties, you may be in trouble.
You now have a turnout for your dummy interchange track. :eek:

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
It worked!

Thanks Vic!!....I had to dig a litle between the tie and throwbar, so now I got to see if everything is still in gauge. But it now freely moves! Whod've thunk?:D :rolleyes:

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Hi Matt...Glad it worked!!!:) CA glue won't hold on hard surfaces at temps below freezing after it has set.

The other thing that will destroy it is concentrated UV light but I figured that you wouldn't want to take your turnout to a tanning salon!!:D :D :D :D :D

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Thank you Vic for these tricks concerning CA! I knew acetone and UV but never heard about using low temperatures.

Next addition to the work bench: A small tank with liquid Nitrogene and a well insulated syringe to apply Nitrogene drops??? :D :D :D

Just a suggestion: Shouldn't you post these hints in the Tips-n-tricks thread at the Scratchin' & Bashin' section?

Ron

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by RailRon
Thank you Vic for these tricks concerning CA! I knew acetone and UV......

Just a suggestion: Shouldn't you post these hints in the Tips-n-tricks thread at the Scratchin' & Bashin' section?

Ron

Heck Ron!:D After 40 + years in this hobby I have trouble just remembering that I have trains unless something or some one "jarrs" my memory:D :D :D :D Hmmm!! Now let me think...which sock goes on which foot!!!:D :D :D :D :D

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Great tip Vic - I just know I'll be using it lots!!!!!

Another tip if you catch it right away is to keep moving the parts, fingers, etc that you don't want to stick together for about 10 seconds (the time it takes the glue to set) and the CA glue will not bond.

I've used that tip more times than I care to mention, LOL!

cheers
Val