Only men like model railroad?

Originally posted by Vic
There's an older lady here in my town (in her late 70's) that's a fantastic model railroader and she didn't take it up until she retired.:)

Late 70s? Into model railroading? To heck with her age, is she married? (So what if she's older than me' mum...):D :p

Tom F

Wait a minute, she's not into that kinky stuff is she? If she's an ON30er, I rescind my question (shudder...)
Sorry Catt, it had to be said...:p ;)

Drew1125

I'd to thank Val for her perspective on things...very interesting, & probably very sound points.
She hit on a couple of points that are reasons that I dropped out of the model RR club scene.
The Gauge is the only thing I'm involved in that is anything like a club...I vastly prefer it to the club I was in...& this raises some interesting points...
For instance, I have corresponded with Val on a couple of occasions...I contributed a couple of photos to her wonderful website...but I was not aware of, until this moment, nor had I concerned myself with, her gender. All I knew was that she was someone with a great eye for things, & a great enthusiasm for what she is doing...what more could you want from any model railroader than that?
Has my opinion of her now changed?
Well, she's still someone with a great eye for things, & great enthusiasm for what she's doing...so the answer is no.
Sooo...my question is this...
Has the internet provided easier access for more diversity within the hobby?
Anybody wanna take a stab at that one?

ANo10

Our only local train store is owned and operated by a woman. Sarah's husband was into trains and died 12 years ago and she has been operating the store since then.

She was a great mentor when I first started, not only her knowledge of what products were available, but her skill at, and methods of layout construction. Her N scale layout is to die for.

Jim

modelling The Lizard Creek Timber Company

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
We went to my LHS yesterday to pick up box car data decals for my first entry in The Gauge Railway. While I was looking through the piles of decals,she was actually pulling rolling stock off the shelf. Three old time milk car kits, a tanker and a caboose. Guess who still had to put the kits together though. Can't seem to get her to do that, but at least she's showing interest.

Vic

One of the early pioneers in the mail order train business and one of the early importers of brass engines from Japan was Ms. Bobbye Hall of Dallas, TX. Any of Y'all remeber Bobbye Hall's Hobby Shop from the 50's and 60's.....bet you didn't know you was dealing with a lady!!!:D

Originally posted by Charlie
...Has the internet provided easier access for more diversity within the hobby?
Anybody wanna take a stab at that one?

I'd have to say ABSOLUTELY! With all the crusty curmudgeons hanging around the hobby shops that I frequent, most women wouldn't be caught dead in there... ("Heh, heh, [cough, cough] so little lady [snort], what's yer' [hack, hack] sign?...[sniff, hack]")

I'm a 6' 4" 270 pound ex dockworker and these guys scare the bajeebas outa' me...:p :D

Tom F

spitfire

Except it's more like "Heh, heh, [cough, cough] so little lady [snort], who's the lucky guy yer' [hack, hack] buyin this for?...[wheeeeeeeeeeezzzzzz]"

By the way, be sure to pick up your bajeebas on your way out. We just swept the floor last month!

Cheers
Val

C

Catt

Hey Val,that don't happen in my town.The two hobby shops here will treat you like one of the guys.Both of these shops encourage the ladies to take part in the fun.

Wolv33

Bill,

I will see what I can do. She is such a busy lady though, I doubt I will get her to sit down for five minutes to type. LOL!

Later.

spitfire

Originally posted by Catt!
Hey Val,that don't happen in my town.The two hobby shops here will treat you like one of the guys.Both of these shops encourage the ladies to take part in the fun.

Yeah, I was just having a bit of fun. I'm on a first name basis with the guys who run the 2 hobby shops I mainly frequent here in the Toronto area. They seem to always have time to answer my questions with genuine interest, and I've never felt I was treated differently from any other model RR-er.

Of course my money is the same colour as everyone else's - and in Canada that would be blue, green and orange !:D :D :D

But seriously, I think the main thing if you want to encourage someone to join in is never to treat their questions as stupid, or make them regret having asked. In modelling, in the workplace, in life! And I'm happy to say that my experience along those lines from hobby shop owners to forum members has been nothing but positive all the way. A great bunch of guys, who it is my pleasure to know.

I love this hobby!

Cheers
Val

Vic

Hey Tom F.....She's in HO and models Southern and Central of Georgia. She's very much the introvert and I'm one of the few that she'll talk model railroading with. Suggested that she might join The Gauge but learned that she doesn't have a computer and doesn't want one!!!!:D :D :D

Val, Thank your lucky stars there's hobby shops in your neck of the woods that have knowledge and will answer questions. The only one here is one of those chain store hobby shops and if one asks a question you usually get a blank stare or the teenage doofus waiting on you says "I Dunno".:D

Hummingbird

Hi Val & Guys,

WoW...another woman model railroader...I'm happy to meet you, Val !!

For the most part, I have been made to feel very welcome in this "man's hobby", and they are stuck with me now! I am in two clubs and manage a "train only" hobby shop, along with my Husband. It was tough, at first, I'll have to admit. It's was kind of like a guy going to an Auto Parts store and seeing a woman behind the counter...and thinking she couldn't possibly know anything about cars. We make a very good team and we both love the hobby. I encourage wives/girlfriends/daughters/Grandmas,....when they do come in with their significant others and I have seen them get more involved. I think women have the patience and that they also enjoy the creative aspect of the hobby. It's a great hobby for the whole family.
Somebody get me off of this soapbox....and please pass the jug!

Happy Railroading...pass it on!
:p Debbie

I knew Debbie would get in on this one, 'specially if one o' Tyson's Graham County jugs was involved at the end o' the discussion... :D :D :D :D :D :D

Change of topic: Debbie, all of my hummers (all 3 dozen or so - it was hummingbird wars around here about three weeks ago!) have left for the season. They're headed your way... :eek: :eek: :) :) :p

Hummingbird

Hi Val,

It's nice to hear from you! Does the store have a website?...well, yes and no! Ha...We've been working on getting one established for awhile now. All that is up, is a one page introduction. I don't want anyone to think I am using the forum to "solicit" the hobby shop. But, if you'll e-mail me, I'll be more than happy to share the website address with you.

What scale/road/era are you modeling on your diaroma? I model the L&N in HO scale and also the ET&WNC in G Scale, in the late '50's era.

spitfire

I'm modelling in HO. It's a mid 1950's scene, late summer, set in Toronto where I live. There's a CN and CP mainline running through, just like the prototype, and of course the streetcar line is TTC (Toronto Transit Commision).

I like HO for now, because I'm into super detailing (not like Shamus though :D ) and it's easier to actually see what I'm doing!
I think if I were to get into serious train running I'd probably consider N-scale, because you can get so much more real estate into the same space.

Cheers
Val

Hummingbird

Thanks Rich...and maybe I will...

WHERE DID THE LADY GO THAT STARTED THIS THREAD....???

Hello to you, wherever you are...and to Val , as well to all you Model Railroad Nuts!! Ain't this a great hobby?