Online Shopping?

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by Woodyncarlyle, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Woodyncarlyle

Woodyncarlyle New Member

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone can reccomend some on-line stores in Canada, or Canadian Hobby shops with Web Sites. The nearest Hobby Shop is more than 2 hours away for me. To my Canadian Neighbours, has anyone had experience with E-bay or hobby shops in the states. What is usually the shipping time and Duty costs, when orders cross the border?

Thank you
    Woody
  2. Stuart

Stuart New Member

HI

First off do a google search for Hobby shops.

E-Bay is one of the biggest online hobby sales web-site.. There are heaps of horror stories and bad deals.. I have been using them for about 6 years and only been screwed once. All in All 99.9999% of the people are great and you can get a great bargain.

As aways buyer be ware using E-Bay
  3. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Woody: where are you (roughly) and what are you modelling? I know a few hobby shops in the Toronto/Hamilton area that do mail order, but some people feel the prices are a bit high.
    I've always had the luxury of establishing a personal relationship before trying for mail order.
  4. Woodyncarlyle

Woodyncarlyle New Member

online shopping

We live in SE Sask. two hours from Regina and Brandon Mb. There is a store in Regina, but they are very high priced from what I've seen so far. There is a store in Alberta, Canadian scale Rail and Hobby, website www.Canadianscalerail.com, Has anyone had experience with this company, Their website is good, and prices seem resonable. So I think I may try a small mail order with them. Any Thoughts?

Thanks
    Woody
  5. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

I've been told and I've read that the movement of the Canadian dollar back towards par has made it at least a little easier to buy direct from the USA shops. However, I don't know anything specific about duties and customs charges except that they can be unexpectedly high. Some shippers (not just model railroad shops) use carriers that charge the recipient a double digit processing fee for the customs transaction-- that's a fee on top of a fee.

EBay casual sellers that ship to Canada from the USA tend to be a little less sophisticated and will just do a green customs form at the post office. I have shipped items to Canada back when I was selling and I did not hear about any of my buyers having to pay customs fees. I used the basic padded envelope. One advantage of N Scale is that you can get away with that in many cases because the items are so small. I will usually add an extra layer of bubble wrap around the item just for extra protection.

Shipping time has varied from just a few days (although that's rare) to weeks across the border. I would consider ten business days to be about the median ship time.
  6. stripes

stripes Member

Yes, depending on what you are interested in, I would love to invite you to check out my store! As a forum member you will recieve 10% off!, and I am a small Canadian company so you will deal only with me! Please feel free to visit at:
    http://www.modelrailstructures.com

David Bateman
  7. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

Just checked your site, David. My kids have an HO layout also... great looking birds there in 1:87!
  8. wickman

wickman Member

9. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

Hi Woody

Another Canadian Hobby Shop that has a website is Victoria Scale Rail in Victoria B.C.
    Good selection of N Scale, as there are 3 N Scale clubs in the area.
    Website is: http://www.victoriascalerail.com
    Cheers!

Terry
  10. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Best Canadian Mail/Online dealer in my opinion is Canadian Express Lines. Dave Cool own it (yes, that is his real name).
    http://canadianexpressline.com/

Even though his current website does not mention N Scale, Dave can get it for you.
    d.cool@sympatico.ca