Online Shopping?

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
Hi all. I was wondering if anyone can reccomend some on-line stores in Canada, or Canadian Hobby shops with Web Sites. The nearest Hobby Shop is more than 2 hours away for me. To my Canadian Neighbours, has anyone had experience with E-bay or hobby shops in the states. What is usually the shipping time and Duty costs, when orders cross the border?

Thank you
Woody

Stuart

Oct 18, 2006
Ballarat, Australia
HI

First off do a google search for Hobby shops.

E-Bay is one of the biggest online hobby sales web-site.. There are heaps of horror stories and bad deals.. I have been using them for about 6 years and only been screwed once. All in All 99.9999% of the people are great and you can get a great bargain.

As aways buyer be ware using E-Bay

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Woody: where are you (roughly) and what are you modelling? I know a few hobby shops in the Toronto/Hamilton area that do mail order, but some people feel the prices are a bit high.
I've always had the luxury of establishing a personal relationship before trying for mail order.

Woodyncarlyle

Oct 22, 2006
online shopping

We live in SE Sask. two hours from Regina and Brandon Mb. There is a store in Regina, but they are very high priced from what I've seen so far. There is a store in Alberta, Canadian scale Rail and Hobby, website www.Canadianscalerail.com, Has anyone had experience with this company, Their website is good, and prices seem resonable. So I think I may try a small mail order with them. Any Thoughts?

Thanks
Woody

umtrr-author

Dec 19, 2003
Visit site
I've been told and I've read that the movement of the Canadian dollar back towards par has made it at least a little easier to buy direct from the USA shops. However, I don't know anything specific about duties and customs charges except that they can be unexpectedly high. Some shippers (not just model railroad shops) use carriers that charge the recipient a double digit processing fee for the customs transaction-- that's a fee on top of a fee.

EBay casual sellers that ship to Canada from the USA tend to be a little less sophisticated and will just do a green customs form at the post office. I have shipped items to Canada back when I was selling and I did not hear about any of my buyers having to pay customs fees. I used the basic padded envelope. One advantage of N Scale is that you can get away with that in many cases because the items are so small. I will usually add an extra layer of bubble wrap around the item just for extra protection.

Shipping time has varied from just a few days (although that's rare) to weeks across the border. I would consider ten business days to be about the median ship time.