Online Railroad Update

Jetta Lewis

Ok. Finally got the terrain in and the correct grass on it. Just to show you fellows some of the things that can be done with this program I have a couple of 747's flying around and a trawler heading out to sea. Just on the shore is a very tall lighthouse with a revolving lightbeam. There will be a fairly large city in the northeast corner of the world with tracks running over to a mountain and then thru a tunnel in the mountain. I do have snow on the mountain (still working on it) and there will be a ski lift with skiing and snowboarding back down. I may put an ice skating rink in the area, but not decided yet. Moria is building a 1930s town in the southwest corner of the world and i believe there will also be a logging operation in that area. From this point on there will be daily and hourly changes to the world and hopefully by the end of this week enough terraforming will have been done to actually start laying some track. Come on by and take a look when you get an opportunity.
http://host.activeworlds.com/america/web/newfoundland.exe

I notice that you're posting a link to a .exe file which is unusual. Most people are rightfully wary of opening this type of file since it opens the doors to your computer's hard drive.

I'm sure your intent is not to damage or hijack. How about a heads-up as to what program you are asking us to run on our computers?

Wayne

Jetta Lewis

Hi Muddy. If you would like to go back and read the post regarding Online Virtual Railroad I think you will see what its all about. Quite a few of the guys have been over and most are waiting to see how it's going to turn out and a couple of them are helping to build. Very quickly it's a Virtual Reality site with the emphasis on Railroading. At the present I have enough track to cross the US a couple of times and 3 or 4 steam engines, 1 locomotive and over a hundred boxcars, pullmans, ect, ect. It's a 3d site and is basically a full size model railroad. If you would like to read about VR, Activeworlds.com started this in late 1995 and I have been involved since Oct 1997. I do have a web page up, but still working on that. ancientromevr.com Come by and take a look. I promise, nothing is going to jump out and grab your computer.

Thanks. Missed the other thread. My entire business is dependant on my computer & I have to be a bit careful about things that might shut me down.

I'll check it out.

Wayne

Jetta Lewis

Not a problem. I understand fully and it's a hefty dl. We are testing the possibility of running a train or 2 using a robot and were trying it on Santa and his reindeer. Dunno where he is now. Took off flying north and went under the ocean. I'll let you know if he floats up anywhere :/

Hey all, I gave it a try last night after getting off of The Sims Online (yes I am an online game nerd:rolleyes: ). Anyways, the VR was quite impressive. I must say that I made myself a little nausious from all the spinning and such since there is so much scenery, but all in all I was quite impressed. I only saw a very small portion of what has been constructed, but from what I saw, the detail was incredible. I wouldn't mind helping out with construction, but I really wouldn't know how or where to start, let alone how to operate the prog. Time, as for most people is also an important factor in any assistance I could provide.:(

Wayne,

As an unbiased observer, I can vouch for the .exe file. It was about 2.5 MB in size, and was completely safe on my home PC. It installed as a little program and ran quite smoothly. If I could take a screen shot that wasn't so large, I would post it here to show you how it looks.

take care,

josh

Jetta Lewis

Building isn't all that difficult

There are already 4 of us in there building and 2 people for assistance. It's not so much a matter of assistance in building the world as making an area for you and others to build. That is one of the main purposes of this world. To give you and others a place to build your own home-spur track-depot-waterfall or whatever. Its the continuity and difference of others ideas that make a place like this work. Speaking of time. While one is working on their area or chatting they can also monitor any other website...including Sims online. Easy as simply clicking show at the top of your screen and then web. The browser will pop up on the right and you can grab the edge to slide it out. Then start web hopping:eek:) I'm looking forward to seeing you in there, I think you will find that you know most of the people there :eek:)