one more question

blahblahtrain

May 20, 2006
i have a sheet of ply wood that my train will be on, and i have grass sheets to lay on the plywood, and my question is, for the wires to all the lights, like lamp post and stuff like that, do you drill a hole all the way through the mat and plywood, or just run the wires under the grass mat?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think you will have trouble drilling through the grass mat. It will probably want to twist into a knot around your drill bit. What you will need is a leather punch to make a small hole in the mat slightly bigger than the diameter of the drill bit you use to drill through the plywood. I'm not susre where you live to advise you where to get a small punch. You would need what looks like a chisel with a hollow punch end. You might check a local craft store to see if they have one in stock or can get them. Tandy/Leather Factory manufacture them for leather crafters and saddle makers. If there is a leather craft store or saddle making shop near by, they might be able to help you. I just ran a google search on Tandy/Leather Factory and got this link to their web site. www.leatherfactory.com They sell wholesale and retail, and may sell on line mail order. On their menu go to hand tools and then to punch sets. You would want either the mini punch set part # 3003-00 or the maxi punch set part # 3004-00. don't worry about a cutting surface to protect your table top. If you glue the grass mat down first, then punch out the grass where you want the wires to go, you will automatically locate and center the drill for drilling the hole in the plywood.