One for the Paint Shop Crew

Ok, guys, here's a question for you: when it comes to solvent-based paints, why do model railroaders prefer lacquers over enamels?

I've noticed that modelers working in different genres prefer different paint types. For example, most military modelers, car modelers, and aircraft modelers seem to prefer enamels. Figure modelers seem to prefer either enamels or "artists" oil paints. And so forth and so on....

So why do we prefer lacquers made by Floquil and others? I considered the availability of "railroad colors," but I'm not convinced that's the answer. I'm sure Testors, Humbrol, and others would rush to fill the bill if there was a demand for "railroad colors" in enamel.

And why am I fretting over this? I think I need to get outside the house and find a life... :rolleyes: :D

Tankertoad70

I have no 'techie' answer for ya Casey on this one. I started using good ol' Floquil back in '73 and have 'stuck' with it ever since. I know its properties and am very satisfied with the results I obtain with it.;) :D

NYCentral

I think that is the case of many modeler's, you use something because someone else recommends it and since you are happy with the results you never try anything else.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I think enamels got a bad rap early on, because they were thicker, and hid detail more than laquers did. Floquil was so successful because, even brushed on, there was good coverage, and minimum hiding of detail.
Pete

Vic

Good question and my answer is "I dunno":D

I recall a paint that was on the market a number of years ago that was an enamel mrr paint. Think it was called 4M and it never did catch on.

It may have something to do with the pigment...possibly lacqures will support a much finer grind of pigment than enamels.

Lackawanna Jim

Casey, I think tankertoad and nycentral were getting to the root of it; I feel that it's because of the fact that Floquil has been around for so long that it became the standard... Great strides have been made in paint formulations; I never would have considered using Badger Model-Flex, esp. after the bad press it got at first (they have tweaked it since) and now I love it. Same with Polly-Scale. I, personally, have always used anything available, as long as it was the desired color and was compatible with the job at hand. Just my two cents...

Jim