On30 Mining Track

Cascade Man

Mar 9, 2010
Hi everyone! My first thread and it happens tp be a question. I'm just begging my first layout (2x4 mining on30 layout) and I want to have mining trac coming out of the mine adit that would fit an O scale grandt line ore car. Not sure what to get :confused: Anyone have any suggestions for mining track for the ore cars? It doesn't have to fit my ore car but any suggestions on what makes good mining track or hoe to make and where I can find an ore car that fits it. Thanks! :mrgreen:

Cascade Man

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
If your doing On30, it would look good if your mine cars were smaller than your railroad tracks.

One possibility would be to use grant line HOn3 koppel mine cars and hon3 flex track (micro enginering or Shinohara) while the koppel cars are actually small ore cars, they look enough like a mine car so that an Hon3 car would make a decent representation of a O scale mine car.

I have up near my ore transfer, some Hon3 grant line koppel ore cars, and I will try to grab one and place it next to some O scale stuff, so you can see what it will look like.

I work nights, and it is close to my bed time, but I will try to get you some photographs posted here either tonight or tomorrow morning. as a bonus it may be possible to get one of the little Grant line diesel locomotive kits, and use the mechanism to make an O scale electric mine locomotive and have something operable!

Bill Nelson

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Using any sort of standard track, say, HO track for On30 or O track for O standard gauge, gives a track that looks a bit hefty for a mine. What I might do is take normal flex track and cut the web that joins the ties and remove half of them and double space the rest. (or maybe a third)
Peco make Crazy Track which is a very rickety-looking narrow gauge track.

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Using any sort of standard track, say, HO track for On30 or O track for O standard gauge, gives a track that looks a bit hefty for a mine. What I might do is take normal flex track and cut the web that joins the ties and remove half of them and double space the rest. (or maybe a third)
Peco make Crazy Track which is a very rickety-looking narrow gauge track.

Peco makes Ho flex track with code 70 rail, as does micro engineering/ the latter also makes flex track in Ho with code 55 rail which is super tiny in O scale..

Bill Nelson

Bill Nelson

Dec 14, 2008
Clarksville Tn
Ok, I have gone up to the RR room, come up with an adaquate O scale figure, and posed him next to an Hon3 Grant line Koppel ore car. the track is HOn3 with code 70 rail. Micro engineering sells Hon3 track with code 55 rail, that would kook tiny in O gauge, especially if you got the weathered track. where the rail is chemically blackened.

As I had mentioned this Hon3 car makes an Ok O scale mine car

Attachments

• SML Gnt kpl or cr.jpg
    SML Gnt kpl or cr.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 83