On30 Logging Track Plan

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
I'm looking for advice on this track plan. I have a few 3x8 and 3x6 sections from an old layout that I am looking to reuse, thus the shape. Theme is an On30 logging line. There are three logging camps. Locos visit the camps, bringing logs back to the sawmill. Rib Lake area also has engine service facilites. Turnouts are #6, min radius 24". 1foot grid. Grey track in top left is a tunnel.

A freelance design, but roughly based on the Rib Lake RR in northern Wisconsin. One of the few logging lines to own a shay, climax and heisler at the same time.

Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks all,
Scott

Attachments

• on30_trackplan.jpg
    on30_trackplan.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 300

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
One problem that I notice is that the switchback in the corner will have to rise very sharply in order to clear the track in the tunnel, or the track in the tunnel will dive sharply down once it enters the tunnel. I'd make sure to have some way to reach trains in the tunnel in case of derailments. Other than that, it seems like you'll have a lot of logging action to keep your sawmill busy.

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Another issue I see is the track at the sawmill. You have a separate siding for the log dump, which is a good thing. But it looks like sawn lumber would be loaded on what would otherwise be the tail end of your runaround track. Could create some interesting operational bottle necks!

my thoughts, your choices