On Track, with Deano

UP SD40-2

Whats really messed up about our weather is it was 90 today, but a cold front blew in, so it will only be 60 tomorrow. Not as bad as your 20 but the big swing really messes people up around here.
Its the same up here, we had a COUPLE, days in the 40's-low 50's here, now snow:roller: , just makes everyone sick:frowns: .

REMEMBERING SUMMER DAYS...
Here's a couple pics i took in Rochelle last summer:thumb::mrgreen:

:deano: -Deano
aDSC08051.JPG

DSC08034.JPG

aDSC08044.JPG

aDSC08053.JPG

aDSC08072.JPG

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Oh ok deano. Now I can see the difference.:mrgreen: I like the shot of the calf unit. Hey if the railroads can mix power so can we.sign1

CNWman

CNW Fan
I am re-thinking my weathering plans for my diesel fleet:eeki: . yesterday while it was snowing:madd: , i sat and watched ALL my steam vids:thumb: , and watched my "UP Vintage West" & "Union Pacific Odyssey" vids:mrgreen: , after watching the latter two vids, i noticed UP took EXCELLENT care of there diesels in the 60's/70's:thumb: , so i am going to barely go over MOST of them as far as weathering goes:winki: .
Don't make them too shiny, that might resemble too much clenliness:mrgreen:(is that spelled right?sign1)

i don't know if you folks know it, but the MP15AC's are replacing the SD20's:eeki::frowns: , thats right, those AWESOME SD20's will be no more:frowns: .
Actually Deano, the SD20's will STILL be, just as leased engines:mrgreen: In their March issue, Model Railroader showed pics of EX-WSOR #2054 in a colum about how SD20's were all unique, and the cab markings had been quickly covered with B-something-something-X. Two issues later, the guy who BOUGHT that very engine wrote to MR, explaining the engine's entire history:eek: and revealing the engine's current owner: a bio-fuel industry.

CRIPES, I'm glad you folks didn't see me:eek:ops: , i was like a 6yr old kid as the ice cream truck was coming:119: , jumping up & down, holding my fist in the air going "YES!, YES!:headbang: " sign1 , keep in mind I'm 42:eeki: , I had to have looked like a total nut:eek:ops::119: .
I think we've all had moments like that plenty of timessign1

What stinks is, i AGAIN, was on the wrong side of the sunwall1 , so the pics arnt good:curse: . i viewed them on dads computer and they looked dark:frowns: , seeing them on MY computer, they arnt real bad, but i have an AWESOME video card, so i think that helped:winki: . out of the 88 pics i took today, only one, the SD20 came out OK, i am posting the three UP engines too, if they are to dark for you to see them, my apologies go out to you:eek:ops:
What are you talking about? These pictures are great!:thumb:

Fairbanks-Morse...
I mentioned last week dad had a book my Grandfather gave him that had the names and dates of everyone that worked at the Beloit FM Plant:mrgreen: , what i failed to realize was the book was the "Quarter Century Club" FM book, meaning your name was in the FM book if you had worked there for 25 or more years. All the members of my family that worked there are in it:mrgreen: , and i have underlined them in RED:thumb: .
AWESOME!!!!:thumb: My condolences as well for your relatives who have moved on.

BTW neat Aerotrain! What's next, the M-10000 City of (insert city name here:p)? You already own a Zephyrsign1 would make a great combo IMHO:thumb:

zachary

Its the same up here, we had a COUPLE, days in the 40's-low 50's here, now snow:roller: , just makes everyone sick:frowns: .

REMEMBERING SUMMER DAYS...
Here's a couple pics i took in Rochelle last summer:thumb::mrgreen:

aDSC08051.JPG

DSC08034.JPG

aDSC08044.JPG

aDSC08053.JPG

aDSC08072.JPG

OH MY gOD THOSE ARE AWESOME DEANO

NIevo

Well here are some of my UP pics just for you Deano!

layout026lg1.jpg

layout035vt7.jpg

Here are the 2 newest additions to the fleet. The engine is a Proto 2k that I won on eBay for $33!! It was brand new never opened.

layout030re8.jpg

layout028ec4.jpg

UP SD40-2

CNWman, THANK YOU!, for the complements and kind words:smilie::mrgreen: .
ALSO, THANKS for filling me in on the SD20's:thumb: , GLAD to hear they wont be scrapped:winki::mrgreen: .

Zachary, i thought YOU would like those pics:thumb::mrgreen::mrgreen: .

NIevo, WOW!!!:eeki: NICE!!!:thumb::thumb: THANKS FOR POSTING THOSE!!!:mrgreen:
you'll love the P2K:winki: , i have one and it runs SLAP AWESOME!:mrgreen:
I really like the boxcar & other UP freight cars too!:thumb:

ON MY SIDE OF THE TRACKS...
Went to dads today, we tore up a couple problem spots on his layout, it ended up being more then dad thought, but i think re-doing the added areas will really help the "bigger" engines i have there:thumb: . we should be up and running again next Saturday:winki: .

the VERY LAST show of the year was in Rockford today:mrgreen: , of corse we went:thumb::mrgreen::mrgreen: , look for my "buys" in my NEXT post:winki: ...oh, and i must stress that you folks should be sitting down when you read it, tie your shoes REAL TIGHT TOO:winki: , because it will SLAP KNOCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!!!:eeki::eeki::eeki:

viperman

Deano, did you go to the high-wheeler a couple weeks ago in Palatine, at Harper College? I was there with my dad and my son, we all had a good time. Got lots of pics and some ideas too.

Oh, and found out my son likes N scale most

UP SD40-2

Deano, did you go to the high-wheeler a couple weeks ago in Palatine, at Harper College? I was there with my dad and my son, we all had a good time. Got lots of pics and some ideas too.

Oh, and found out my son likes N scale most
Steve, no, i wasn't aware there was a show there:eek:ops: . Glad you had a good time there though:thumb::mrgreen: .

UP SD40-2

The Rockford Show...(or, THE SEARCH IS OVER!!!)

Well, dad and i went to the LAST show this year, it was in Rockford:mrgreen: . really, i didn't think we would be able to go, do to NO PARKING...once we got there it took us 20-30mins just to find a parking space:roller: , i couldn't be more serious, it was crazy, but after driving around the WHOLE parking lot for that amount of time, we finally got a space:mrgreen: .

Once we got in, at the FIRST table i went to, i picked up an AC12 Cab Forward(Riverossi):thumb: . really, i hate buying used engines because your taking a chance on them even running, but at the price i got this engine for, i COULDN'T pass it up:winki: . this was the FIRST used engine i have bought, and i was lucky because, IT RUNS!!!:thumb::mrgreen: the wheels & contacts need a good cleaning, but IT RUNS on dads layout without problems. I'll lube the motor, etc, too, this should put her back to 100%.

As far as exterior details, comparing the Riverossi to my Intermountain AC12, the Riverossi is only a quarter of the engine my Intermountain is:eeki: , the Intermountains exterior rivals Brass:winki: . but the Riverossi runs much better and isn't as picky on switches, so thats a real plus. if i ordered some detail parts for it, it could be a real nice engine:thumb: .

Dad and i then went to the Milwaukee Road Historical Societies booth, i picked up one of their rib side box cars, and dad picked up three of them:eeki: . they had a nice assortment of them, like 10 different ones to choose from. dad was quite happy with the ones he chose:thumb: , and i liked the one i picked out.

I picked up two new vehicles, i found a 60-70's style UP trailer, what a find!!!:thumb: its hard to get these, i have seen TONS of older styles, and TONS of newer ones, but its rare to find them for the era i am modeling.
i also picked up a UP bus:thumb: , well, sure its to old for my era:eek:ops: , but being a UP fan, well....:119:

There was TONS of real neat stuff i would have liked to get, but passed on, little did i know it was all for a reason.....

NOW FOR THE REAL STORY, THE MIRACLE FIND!!!
As many of you probably know, i have been looking FOR YEARS for a Lionel HO scale Veranda Gas Turbine, finding these is next to impossible, well, THE SEARCH IS NOW OVER!!!!

I am now the PROUD OWNER of a BRAND NEW, IN THE BOX, WITH EVERYTHING THERE, 1000% PRISTINE SHAPE, VERANDA GAS TURBINE!!!!
bounce7bounce7bounce7

Honestly, i ALMOST didn't get it:eeki: , the seller(Skip) wasn't coming down on the price:cry: , but just before dad and i was going to leave, i stopped by and we finally found a price both of us could live with:thumb: . I WOULD LIKE TO THANK MY DAD, THANK YOU!, for loaning me the rest of the money i didn't have on me to get the engine. i HAVE the money for the engine, but it was Saturday afternoon, and the banks were closed, so dad loaned me the difference till i can get to the bank on Monday to pay him back, THANKS DAD!!!
i AM NOT going to disclose what i payed for this SLAP STUPENDOUSLY, FANTASTICALLY, AWESOME ENGINE...:mrgreen::eek:ops::eek:ops: , but i will tell you folks that when they first came out they went for about $475.00:eeki: , and considering the miracle of even finding them now, let alone NEW, i was happy with the price i paid:thumb: (though i would have been much happier with the retail price:119: ). as big a UP fan as i am, i just couldn't live without it:winki: .(i was into N scale for a couple years, and still have the N scale model of these that Con-Cor put out:thumb: )

ABOUT THE ENGINE...
Its got QSI DCC w/sound, it weighs about a ton, looks,sounds, and runs SLAP STUPENDOUSLY. I test ran it at dads, but didn't put any cars behind it yet, though i am sure it will pull a ridiculous amount of them due to the weight of it. I'll know more about it running wise next Saturday after we finish up the track work at dads. the exterior detailing is AWESOME, and the lighting effects are just too cool:thumb: .

PICS BELOW...
1- my new 60's-70's UP trailer(the tractor is one i already had)
2- the UP bus
3- the Milwaukee Road rib side boxcar I bought
4- Rivarossi cab forward AC12
5- VERANDA GAS TURBINE
6- VERANDA GAS TURBINE

**Side note: i have updated my engine roster, if interested, you can find it on page 15 of this thread:winki: .

Till next time...STAY ON TRACK!:thumb:

DSC07814.JPG

DSC07840.JPG

DSC07834.JPG

DSC07880.JPG

DSC07799.JPG

DSC07739.JPG

UP SD40-2

I am SO SORRY for the bold type above folks:eek:ops: , i copied the post from "word pad" and thats how it turned out:eeki::eek:ops::eek:ops: , AGAIN, i DO APOLOGIZE:smilie: .

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Looks like you and Dad had a good time Deano and found some nice stuff too:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Love the UP truck and the UP Fuel Tender, those things are so cool!!!!!

Great Finds!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

doctorwayne

I am SO SORRY for the bold type above folks:eek:ops: , i copied the post from "word pad" and thats how it turned out:eeki::eek:ops::eek:ops: , AGAIN, i DO APOLOGIZE:smilie: .

No need for apologies, my friend, the bold type suits the occasion perfectly. :thumb::thumb: Great finds, Deano, especially that turbine. :-D Slap stupend-awesome-ous :eek::eek:;):-D:-D:-D

Wayne

CNWman

CNW Fan

That right there sir, is one seriously awesome engine. I recomend that you DON'T weather it, although superdetailing would be a welcome addition (like numberplatessign1) Hmmm, let's see, you have at least one example of a Big Boy, Challenger, 844(4), Century, and now you have a fully operational illegal-in-some-sensitive-cities UP Turbine. Maybe you should get one of these next:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a5/UNION_PACIFIC_Y2513_20070228.jpg
or maybe this:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e4/Heber_UP618.JPGsign1