On to the next Q: relative size

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
OK, Ladies and Gentlemen, according to the NMRA's Standard S-7, clearances are slightly reduced for HOn3. So the maximum size is reduced, compared to standard HO. I know the length of typical narrow gauge rolling stock is relatively short compared to standard gauge, how about the other dimmensions? I am wondering what is typical. Is the width of an HOn3 car the same as a similar HO scale car? Like if I want to scratch/bash a flat car, do I just shorten it and change the trucks and couplers? Or do I reduce all proportions?

Maximum clearance for HOn3 is reduced about 20% for width, 25% for height, and the gauge is reduced about 30%. So, would a typical car be 20% to 30% narrower than standard HO? and the height reduced 25%? Or do we stick with standard height and width?

I would imagine when bashing an HO car, like Vic's fine "first HOn3" project recently posted, we retain standard width. And I guess on specialty mining and such we go narrower. And even narrower for our 'shine-mobile :D :D :D

jon

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Jon, I just checked the width of my brass HOn3 caboose, seems like most cars are about 7' 4" wide and typically 30' long. (definately narrower than standard gauge cars).
There is an NMRA standards Guage for HOn3, a very useful tool !!

Have fun with the saw ... :)

Errol

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Jon:
This info comes from NMRA data sheet D5c (narrow gage [sic] car dimensions) for box cars.
Car length varies from 22' 1" to 37' 0". most between 26' and 30'. (the 37' is the Tweetsie.)
Body height over roofwalk varies from 7'3" to 10'2" with only a DRGW car over 8'4". height of sides 6'8" to 7'10".
Width 6'2" to 7'9", popular dimension of 7'1.5".
Brake wheel sits from 6" to 23" above the roof.

The sheet is dated May 1953, so won't cover any cars built since then.
;)

Originally posted by 60103
This info comes from NMRA data sheet D5c (narrow gage [sic]

A quick check of the dictionary says that gage or gauge may be used.

Now, to the question, if width dimensions are reduced 20 percent, then a NG car would not want to be over 8 feet wide as a standard car is 9'6" to 10'. 7'4" to 7'6" would sound about right.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
As usual, awesome, helpful information. Thanks for the look ups and measurements. I really appreciate it. This really gives me a good perspective to work from. I'm not a real stickler on accuracy; I mainly just want it to look cool to me. I just don't want one of you guys to pop in for a visit one day and see a box car the size of my foot on the narrow gauge and bust out laughing... might hurt my fellings. :( Now I just need to order some trucks and couplers and I'll be all set to get started on more unfinished projects!

Maybe I should kit bash my unfinished projects into one so I can finish it :)

So that's what's on the datasheets I should buy on CD from that thing I should join :D :D :D When you join, is there on-line access to the CD or do you need to buy it? I'm thinking, $80 + for membership, CD and shipping is a bit salty for this ole boy. I can buy a lot of trucks and couplers.

Thanks for all the help, ALL of you. You're a fantastic group.

jon

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Of course, the Newfoundland Rly (later Canadian National in Newfoundland) was a 42" gauge but they used to ferry in full size cars and change the trucks. Suspect they didn't bring in 85 foot boxcars, but they had to have the clearance for full size.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
David, I would ask someone who has them on CD if they are easy to use. I noticed the on-line examples are PDF format, which can be completely search proof, unless they setup a linked index. I may be wrong and it may be very usable, maybe not even PDF, hopefully html. I just saw a little red flag :)

jon

The CD is very easy to use and the datasheets have been updated where necessary. I have had no problem searching individual documents. You can't search the entire CD, but the way they have set up the index, you don't have to. It is pretty straight forward. :)

BTW - I think that you can buy the CD without being an NMRA member, but the price is higher. It does sell well.