Old West

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Will_annand said:
Doc, is it true that in your train room, you only play music by Ennio Morricone?
Only certain selections Will, only certain selections.

I also have an original Christmas on the Ponderosa album (you know, one of those large round flat black plasticy things, not the smaller shiny silver one) that my wife says if I play one more time, I have to change the name of my railroad.
Doc

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
SteamerFan said:
Actually, by definition, Old west refers to area west of the MN, IA, MO, AR, and LA line after 1870 and before 1900.

Once you know the "Old West" refers to the 1870-1900 timeframe and that it entails the western states, you can then narrow down your landscape into Desert, Mountains, grass plains, and forests. equally, you can choose a cold climit or a hot one, costal or inland.

well, yeah, but saying one's layout is set in the "old west" isn't exactly "narrowing it down" much in terms of potential terrain! It is an indicator of era, and very rough geographical region, and of course there are probably cowboys in it.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Sounds like you're getting the kind of information and ideas you were hoping for Cookie. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it!
Regards,
Ralph

Cookie

Dec 5, 2004
Ralph..........I did get plenty of sites and information and I guess the word "timeframe" or "era" would best describe my old west and what I am trying to do. When I do work on this layout....I think my plan is "not to have a plan". One plan that I do have ......is to enjoy the opportunity to relax and enjoy the trip. Yep.... Cowboys and a few Indians and a hangin' tree and buffalo and boot hill and horses and covered wagons and Wells Fargo and ..............

thanks again.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Cookie, have you figured out a track plan yet?

In the western area, you could have a small cattle town and then a scene with Indians hunting the buffalo before going into the logging area.

Or were you thinking Mining camp and logging, thus having eveything in the foothills?

Cookie

Dec 5, 2004
Will annand..

...... The track is on and I have been running trains for some time (since last summer). I have 2" foam on and have several foam "rock mountains" creating a tunnel. I have a complete western town. This area is really starting to take shape but it is a long way from being completed. This will be the western half and I really like the idea of the buffalo and Indians and that will not be a problem at all. I have buffalo and mountain goats that were ordered from Colorado. My problem is having enough time to paint and detail everything..... and I'm retired.....go figure. I have 5 engines with one of them being a 3 truck Shay and log cars that I purchased about 2 weeks ago for the logging side.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I take it, then, that you'll have two scenes--a prairie scene and a mountain scene? Or were buffalo found in the mountains too?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
abx.jpg

aby.jpg

abz.jpg

acb.jpg

Well I'll be danged, thar's buffalo in them thar mountains.
Doc

Cookie

Dec 5, 2004
buffalo

Yes.......I have a very small prairie scene and a mountain area. I have seen buffalo in Yellowstone...the Tetons....Badlands prairie...Custer State Park and there are about 400 head in Bagdad, Ky. where I live.......and last but not least I have seen one somewhere that you can put a quarter in and ride..Wal-Mart?? Your suggestions about the buffalo should make a great blend to the next scene.

Doc........nice pictures.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Okey doke...now that I think about it, I saw a buffalo or two in some semi-mountainous portions of Wyoming, from the UP mainline. Other than that the only buffalo I remember seeing were the little preserve at the particle accelerator facility outside of Chicago, so I'm no authority on buffalo. We don't have 'em out here in Californy.

Although I do note that in three out of the four photos shown, the buffalo are actually in a nice flat area NEXT to the mountains, rather than in 'em--not quite the same thing.

Some other western-type things about buffalo and trains: There were "buffalo hunts" sponsored by railroad lines--not really hunts as such, but trains carrying men with rifles, who rode through areas where buffalo herds were found, shooting buffalo from the train. Typically they didn't stop to make any use of the buffalo they shot, and it wasn't exactly sporting, but I imagine it was great fun.

"Old West" towns are also appropriate in mountainous regions--in some of the more remote areas of California's northcoast and the Sierras, I see towns that don't look too far removed from the Old West other than a few pickup trucks in place of horses, and satellite TV antennas.

It seems like there would be some good possibilities for operation on your layout, Cookie: the mountain logging operation supplies lumber to the prairie-based boomtown, which in turn supplies foodstuffs to the loggers.

Hmmm...didn't Buffalo Bill get his name supplying buffalo meat for some similar enterprise?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
jetrock said:
Okey doke... so I'm no authority on buffalo.

While I too do not suppose that I am an authority on bison, my wife is a long time admirer and has amassed quite a collection of texts on them. A quick glance throught some of them revealed numerous references to Bison athabascae, or mountain buffalo, (sometimes also referred to as the wood buffalo). Not nearly as numerous or as well known as their plains dwelling cousins, there have been documented historical sightings as well as complete skeletal remains discovered in mountain areas such as Pikes Peak, Yellowstone and Rocky Mountain National Park as high as 12,000 feet. To me, this qualifies a mountain.
Doc

Cookie

Dec 5, 2004
4x8

When the space is limited....4x8....the transition period must occur quickly and get to the point.......:) this will make the Indians feel a lot better about hunting with a small stick and a bow....they don't have to shoot as far!;)

Thanks for the conversation and the information. JIM

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
Have you considered a scenic divider down the middle (long ways) of the 4x8? This would allow two very different scenes--on one side, dramatic mountain scenery up to the backdrop, and on the other, a lonesome prairie backdrop. Maybe a few foothills at one end to provide some transition--and a great place to put a Boot Hill scene!

Cookie

Dec 5, 2004
down the middle

The divider down the middle would force me to do quite a bit of damage to the work already done on the 4x8 board. The room where the layout is located is about a 12x12 and this makes it difficult to see both sides of the divider at the same time. This room also has the computer, workbench and storage chest in it...so it gets a bit tight at times. I understand what you are saying but I don't think it would work in my situation but thanks for the suggestion.