Old west prarie layout engine

highflyinguy

I am new to this forum and have been lurking for a month. Great forum.
I am starting a new N scale layout on a 4'x8' board covered with blue foam. It will be an Old West scean, in the "Once Upon a Time in the West" movie, totally flat with no switches. Flex track with several slight curves, basically an oval.
I was thinking of using a Bachman 4-4-0 American steam locomotive.
Any comments on this engine or cars for pulling several Overton passengers cars and a stock car.
Jerry Bohn

Welcome to the Gauge.

I'm also modeling the Old West, but in HO. Overall, there aren't too many of us modeling that era. One word of caution, from my limited experience, the old tyme steamers don't have that mcuh pulling power.
Doc

highflyinguy

Guess I was really try to get some information about the quality of the engine.
I realize the trains of that era did not have many cars but would like to pull at least 5 old time passenger/frieght

Will_annand

I concur with Andrew. Harold's site is amazing, Harold however is into OO scale.

I am doing an N scale "Old East" railway, North East actually.

I have 4 of the little Bachmann 4-4-0 units, they are not bad, they can pull about 3-4 Overtons, so long as they are on the level, don't ask them to go uphill. :D Also if you run them continuously, you have to stop them and let them cool down after a couple of hours.

Of course that was totally prototypical as those little fellows only pulled a couple of cars at a time.

I have the Model Power 4-4-0, this is a sweet little loco. I picked it up during an open house at our club. The LHS was open and had a sale on. $148.00 tax in.

I hooked up a four pack of the MDC Overland 50' passenger cars and ran the little fellow for 4 hours straight. It kept right on a going and did not get even the slightest bit warm.

:thumb: :thumb: Two thumbs way up for the Model Power 4-4-0.

Next I think I will get the Model Power 2-6-0. :D

Collyn

highflyinguy said:
Forgot to ask, anyone know a method of making Cactus?
What type of cactus? barrel, yucca, juya(I know that's spelled wrong), prickelly pear.
I whish I could remember where but i saw somepne selling barrel type cactus, yucca you can find these plastic plants at hobby lobby ect that can pull apart. juya a mangeled mess of pipe cleaners might work.

You can buy saguaro type in two sizes, although even the smaller might be too big for N scale. I also have a magazine how-to article on making Joshua Trees. If I can find it I'll scan it for you.
Doc

highflyinguy

Wow, thanks for all the information.
I like the idea of pipe cleaners, sounds like it might be worth experimenting with till I can locate pre-made. We have a couple large train shops in Denver (100 mile round trip) and two local hobby shops that dabble in trains. A brand new one just opened and has a better selection than the other (Hobbytown USA).
Now to see what 4-4-0 I can afford and get in my area, I like to support the local boys.
Great web site you listed, always good to get others ideas. Learning is a life long process that keeps my 62 year old mind functioning.
Doc. Would appreciate article on Joshua tree making if you get a chance, thanks.