Old Oldsmobile....not paper model related

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by bfam4t6, Sep 7, 2005.

1. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I'll start this by saying that following as nothing to do with paper modelling. It is simply a personal plea for info. I've posted this message on two other car related forums today, and this is a copy and paste of those messages. I know you guys are all very friendly and as helpful as can be, and since we now have more than 2000 members, I figured that there may be another member with a split enthusiasm like me, cars/carmodeling, who could possibly help. Here is the paste of my original message..........

First of all, my name is Dustin. I live in the Kansas City, Kansas area.
    So.... there is this 1964 Oldsmobile Super 88 down the street from where I live that I've looked at several times. At one point several years ago it was for sale....then all of a sudden it wasn't. It's finally for sale again, and I've wanted the car for several years now.

I'm posting to gather some of your opinions on the car. I am a car enthusiast and that is as far as it goes. Never OWNED a car, never rebuilt an engine, never done any kind of restore work. However I'm only 17 and have to start somewhere. Supposedly the car was running ( I drive by the owners house almost daily and I can comfirmed that at one point it was facing the street in there front yard and it has moved several times. could've been pushed in neutral though) up until a few months ago and they went to take it to a junkyard of some sort and it wouldn't start. I don't know why. Apparently they found squirrels living in it (I assume the engine). I haven't spoken thoroughly with the owner, only his daughter who was supposed to recieve the car. I don't even know the price, only that about a year ago he through out something around $2000.

I just want to know if anyone with experience with this car, especially the 394 engine has any opinions or shouts of "hell no!". I think I've set my limit below $1000 (initial purchase) assuming that it surely does not run anymore. Are these cars easy to work with? Do they have any major or common problems? Is there likely a very simple solution as to why a car that's been sitting in a driveway for months doesn't run? Am I going to get stuck with a motor that almost definitely needs $2000+ invested in a rebuild? Can I even find parts for this car? Basically, is it plausible for a 17 year old with a budget to get this thing back into running condition? Cosmetically it of course needs work, but I'm primarily concerned with the mechanical aspects right now. It wouldn't be a daily driver. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with this faq http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm
    It seems very informative, but I just want a few layman opinions. I would GREATLY appreciate any sort of reply! :) Thank you in advance for taking the time to do so.

Best Regards,
    Dustin Basler

ps-feel free to poke fun at my long-windedness :roll:

**BTW Ron or Rick, if you feel that this is completely out of place here, don't hesitate to just remove the whole thread. I don't want to be a nuisance.(sp?)
  2. bfam4t6

bfam4t6 Member

I'll start this by saying that following as nothing to do with paper modelling. It is simply a personal plea for info. I've posted this message on two other car related forums today, and this is a copy and paste of those messages. I know you guys are all very friendly and as helpful as can be, and since we now have more than 2000 members, I figured that there may be another member with a split enthusiasm like me, cars/carmodeling, who could possibly help. Here is the paste of my original message..........

First of all, my name is Dustin. I live in the Kansas City, Kansas area.
    So.... there is this 1964 Oldsmobile Super 88 down the street from where I live that I've looked at several times. At one point several years ago it was for sale....then all of a sudden it wasn't. It's finally for sale again, and I've wanted the car for several years now.

I'm posting to gather some of your opinions on the car. I am a car enthusiast and that is as far as it goes. Never OWNED a car, never rebuilt an engine, never done any kind of restore work. However I'm only 17 and have to start somewhere. Supposedly the car was running ( I drive by the owners house almost daily and I can comfirmed that at one point it was facing the street in there front yard and it has moved several times. could've been pushed in neutral though) up until a few months ago and they went to take it to a junkyard of some sort and it wouldn't start. I don't know why. Apparently they found squirrels living in it (I assume the engine). I haven't spoken thoroughly with the owner, only his daughter who was supposed to recieve the car. I don't even know the price, only that about a year ago he through out something around $2000.

I just want to know if anyone with experience with this car, especially the 394 engine has any opinions or shouts of "hell no!". I think I've set my limit below $1000 (initial purchase) assuming that it surely does not run anymore. Are these cars easy to work with? Do they have any major or common problems? Is there likely a very simple solution as to why a car that's been sitting in a driveway for months doesn't run? Am I going to get stuck with a motor that almost definitely needs $2000+ invested in a rebuild? Can I even find parts for this car? Basically, is it plausible for a 17 year old with a budget to get this thing back into running condition? Cosmetically it of course needs work, but I'm primarily concerned with the mechanical aspects right now. It wouldn't be a daily driver. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with this faq http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/oldsfaq.htm
    It seems very informative, but I just want a few layman opinions. I would GREATLY appreciate any sort of reply! :) Thank you in advance for taking the time to do so.

Best Regards,
    Dustin Basler

ps-feel free to poke fun at my long-windedness :roll:

**BTW Ron or Rick, if you feel that this is completely out of place here, don't hesitate to just remove the whole thread. I don't want to be a nuisance.(sp?)