Old Kenner SSP Tires

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
I've been working on and off for over a year to find a way to replace old Kenner SSP Racer tires as the original 45+ year old rubber is shattering due to the fact that when I take these toys to church, a new generation of kids is literally running the rubber off the rims.

Part of the problem is that the original rubber was molded directly onto the pot metal rim when it was made. I was trying to find a way to make a tire that could be pulled over the rim. I have a possible solution, but I have to acquire more materials to test the theory. In the meantime, I have achieved some success using a modified version of the original production process.

The picture shows (L-R): Original rim/tire; Original rim with the broken remnants of an original tire; original rim, no tire; original rim, new tire.

Attachments

• moded all 4 web.jpg
    moded all 4 web.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 11

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's a tricky but interesting problem. I'm looking forward to seeing your solution. I'm keeping my fingers crossed! :)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Mount one of those wheels with the broken rubber in a Lath, and cut a radius on the edge, not knowing how thick it is, you would have to be the judge of it. Get a big fat O-Ring, and glue it into the radius you've cut with the glued used to glue tubes and tires onto racing bicycles, and you will have a very effective solution. Like Pic below, this will make the replaceable, thus able to be fixed and reused, I don't think you would even need the glue. :)

Wheel.jpg

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
As I said, the wheel on the far right has new rubber. So I have accomplished part of my goal. I have to purchase some more materials to resolve the other problem.

I have a Burger Chef kid's meal promo that does as you have suggested.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
How did you get the rubber on the wheel to the far right?

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
As I said, I used a modified version of the original production process. I made a mold with the tire on the far left. Then I put a hub in and poured resin in to the mold to fill the gap.

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Would you be willing to post the composition of the rubber you used to make the actual tire, in a P.M. would be fine, just curious, you are rather industrious. ;)