Old issues of MRR

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by kchronister, Dec 4, 2004.

1. kchronister

kchronister Member

I went home (St. Louis) to visit last week, and went to the Natl. Museum of Transport as long as I was there...

In the gift shop I found what I thought was a treasure trove - years and years of Model Railroader neatly shrink-wrapped by year and for sale. The 90's-era was $0.50 each or a full year for $10.00. Sorry gang, those got bought out by me.

They also had a bunch of 50's-80's there which weren't of interest to me... Or more specfically, I already had 6 years worth of MRR to haul back to NY and had to prioritize so picked the more recent ones...

Anyone in the vicinity who wants them, I think it a pretty good price... The older ones (50-60's) were a tad more, but still relatively cheap...

Kris
  2. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

Valuable resource for sure! 50's to 80's MR will teach you to build an empire from poop using stone tools.
  3. kchronister

kchronister Member

In that case, I should go walk the dog and look for rocks...
  4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

:eek: :D :eek: :D :eek: EEEE, Gad! My secret is out!!!! :eek: :D :eek: :D :eek:

Anything written after 1982 gives me a rash. I even get this nervous tick when Malcohm Furlow is mentioned. The guys at the club play this against me when I mention the virtues of open frame motors and rubber tubing drive lines....
  5. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

Actually I started Model RRing in the 1980's and already have a large collection of the magazines from that era. I still read them from time to time. There are a few things that I miss, like building and rolling stock plans, and the step-by-step building projects that seem to be lacking now.
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Kris, I've been eyeing that same stash at the museum. You're right, the price is awfully good for the wisdom contained within.

I really miss the building and rolling stock plans. I always look for old magazines at train shows, flea markets, rummage sales, and anywhere else I've ever had luck finding them. We have better materials--or at least a better variety of materials--to work with today, but there was a lot more craftsmanship going on back then.
  7. kchronister

kchronister Member

Shaygetz -

In that case you should buy up my old Athearn rubber-band-drive units. They have open frame motors, rubber-tube connectors AND rubber-band drive to the wheels! An iconoclast's dream!
  8. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

Actually....I've always wanted a matched A-A or A-B-A set of those Hi-F drives. The ones I've found always have the shaft support towers too worn out. I would love to see how well they would behave with a good DCC decoder in them...could you imagine the looks once the shell was removed?