Ok, You Guys Are Nuts

davido

well, i have to include myself in this. i have a thread going in the logging forum on building cars. last night i sat down at the workbench with my 1st pack of BLMA grabs. man! those things are small.

i tried to find something small enough to drill the holes for the n scale grabs. a sewing needle was the correct size. so here i go trying to machine a needle into a drill. got annoyed real fast. could not hold that needle to flatten one side.

next i grabbed a bic lighter, heated that needle and bam! went right in the styrene as sweet as pie. sanded of the heat displaced styrene but the hole is to big, again.

it was one of those moments when it was time to walk away. building the "base" car was to easy, but it still looks kinda like a skate board.

any advice from others as looney as me to attempt such would be appreciated

david

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Some time ago I got a set of exacto drills. The smallest one is hair thick and would do well for you. Don't know if your LHS carries them. You could also try Micro-Mark
www.micromark.com

Ray Marinaccio

I have used a piece of .015" spring wire mounted in a pin vise. the hole usually ends up large but is filled in when you apply super glue from the back to attach the grabs.
It's still frustrating.

F

Fred_M

Try putting the needle in a cordless drill. The spining action makes it drill without flutes or anything. Do it all the time. Fred

shaygetz

Radio Shack sells a nice pin vice w/ bits for $12.95. The way I used to do it was to hold the grab with a pair of needlnose pliers. After positioning them where I wanted them, I then took a heated soldering iron and touched it to the point where the grab enters the body. By carefully alternating from side to side once or twice, I could get the grab to set in. Once done, the plastic gripped it good and tight and the small fillet of plastic looked alright enogh not to modify. I still do this with Athearn stantions.

davido

shaygetz said:
Radio Shack sells a nice pin vice w/ bits for $12.95. The way I used to do it was to hold the grab with a pair of needlnose pliers. After positioning them where I wanted them, I then took a heated soldering iron and touched it to the point where the grab enters the body. By carefully alternating from side to side once or twice, I could get the grab to set in. Once done, the plastic gripped it good and tight and the small fillet of plastic looked alright enogh not to modify. I still do this with Athearn stantions.
i have good pin vise, just had trouble tracking down those itty bitty drills.
david